News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbee - Outdoor Set

Started by richintampa, September 28, 2008, 08:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richintampa

I'm new to the world of model trains and I'm looking for some advice. What Bachmann engines and track are the best for use outdoors? I live in Florida where it gets quite humid and in the summer months we get plenty of rain! Thanks!
Rich

calenelson

Any of the Large Scale trains would work nicely outside! 

The track on the other hand will work much better inside...Bachmann Track + FL Humidity = Rusty Buckets. 

What era/industry are you looking to model? 

Have you considered Battery Power and Remote Control for your Empire?

Most of us started with a "Big Hauler" set...Sams club usually has one avail during the Christmas Season.

Sorry I initially failed  to mention a few other forums you may be unaware of!

http://www.largescalecentral.com/index.php

and

http://www.mylargescale.com/

cale

altterrain

The best guys to ask about having a garden railway are the ones who have been doing it in your area for a long time. No offense to the forums but ask a question and you'll get 20 different opinions with an ensuing debate leaving you more confused and bewildered.

Try the FGRS - www.fgrs.org

-Brian
President of

Loco Bill Canelos

Rich,   

Simply stated,  The engines work great inside or outside.  All Bachmann track is made for inside only. 

Look into USA TRains or Aristocraft track which are made ofr outside use
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jsmvmd

Dear Brian,

Great tip, the FL LS site!  Already it has helped me!  Especially the part about George Schreyer's book about the TE.  I bought a TE last year to use with my upcoming HO layout. Eventually I will build a small garden rr, using the TE or possibly Airwire and battery power with Al track.

Best Wishes,

Jack