News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large scale sets

Started by john1937, October 01, 2008, 05:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john1937

I have searched the site (and elsewhere on the web) for dimensions of the engines, tenders and rolling stock in the sets like 900050, 90057 and 90059.
Can anybody tell me the height/width/length for these items (both passenger sets and goods sets)?

Jon D. Miller

John,
Here you go.

Set 90050 is the Silverado passenger set, Big Hauler engine and two coaches.
Set 90059 is the White Pass passenger set, Anniversary engine and two coaches.
Set 90057 is the Durango & Silverton set, Big Hauler engine, box car, a bobber.

Locomotive measurements:
Length:29 5/8"  Measured from tip of cow catcher to tender coupler. Note this measurement taken from an Annie that has had the locomotive to tender draw bar shortened.  So the length may be around 1/4" shorter than a non modified 10-Wheeler.
Width: 4 5/8" at base of steam chest.  The width of a Big Hauler version may be just a shade less since they have smaller cylinders and steam chests. This difference is probably not more than 1/8" or even less.
Height: 6 1/2" from railhead to top of stack.  The whistle and steam generator exhaust will be just a little higher than the smoke stack.

Coaches in all sets are the same.
Length: 20 1/8"   Measured from coupler to coupler.  Length may be slightly more on stock versions since the coaches measured have modified couplers.  Difference could be something like a 1/4" longer on unmodified coaches.
Width: 4 1/16"  This is car body width.
Height: 6 1/2" from railhead to top of the roof.

Box Car
Length: 16 15/16" coupler to coupler.
Width: 3 15/16" this is car body width.  Does not account for grab irons and door tracks.
Height: 5 1/2" from railhead to top of roof walk.

Bobber
Length: 11 7/8"   coupler to coupler.
Width: 4"   this is car body width.  Does not account for side grab irons.
Height;  6 5/8" from railhead to top of cupola.  This height may be off more than any other measurements.  The bobber measured has had two axle trucks added plus the cupola has been lowerd.  But the height should be close to that of a stock bobber.

All measurements made with my highly accurate ALLTRADE Measuring Tape. ::)

Trust this information will be of some use to you.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Oh, did I mention that the K-27 SOCKET , in service since early January 2008, has proven to be trouble free. :)

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

john1937

Thanks Jon. It is good to receive such a prompt reply.
Local hobby stores do not carry stock and making two-hour flight each way just to measure models seems extravagant, especially for a pensioner.

FordcvP71

Actually the White Pass set (90059) comes with an anniversary 4-6-0  :P

Jon D. Miller

Oops, right you are!  My bad. ::)

In addition to the White Pass, Item No. 90059, the Wonderland Flyer, Item No. 90047 also comes with the Anniversary 4-6-0.

This year Bachmann has listed in its 2008 catalog two sets with Anniversary 4-6-0 locomotives.

I've corrected the original post to correct this mistake.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Loco Bill Canelos

Jon what a great reply!!!!   

John1937.    I strongly recommend the Anniversary 4-6-0 in set 90059.   You will no regret getting it.  You can always pick up "good's"  cars later as add on items!!

Enjoy your new train!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

John1937

Here's a link to an article that provides information on the differences between a Big Hauler 4-6-0 and the Anniversary 4-6-0.  You might want to take a look at this.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2007/11/08/bachmann-10-wheelers?blog=4

As Loco Bill mentions, the White Pass currently being offered in a set would be a good choice for a more detailed 10-Wheeler.

However, the other two sets that you list will have the latest drive train the same as the Anniversary.  The differences between the standard Big Hauler and the Anniversary engines will be in the level of detail.

JD

grumpy

With a little searching you can find a great price for Aniversary 4-6-0 and then puchase the better quality cars for approx $50.00 each . I paid $99.00 for the anniversary special from a reputable shop . This is cheaper than purchasing the whole package and you are a little bit ahead in quality. Any DC control syatem will run it and the track you get with the package is only good for indoors and of poor quality .
Don