News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Too New Look on all these GPs

Started by OkieRick, March 12, 2009, 12:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

I bought a Bachmann DCC GP40 loco last week.  It's a Blue / Yellow Santa Fe, nice looking GP.

But they all suffer from the same sickness...they don't look real.  Well they do, just not the wheels or trucks - looks more like a kid with new braces.

I have a few bottles of brush on powders for tinting, aging, rusting, etc., but not enough to put a few years looks on these.

I've used gun bluing on my NS track to help make it look real - works petty well.  But I'm afraid of bluing the loco.  I know I could buy new trucks but I read today's paper.  There is a recession going on.

Ideas?
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Tylerf

I personally prefer to kill the shiny look with dullcote and powders. Wheels can be easily and cheaply detailed and painted to a less shiny shiny silver to a better grungy gray. And it all depends on how much weathering you want to do to it.

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

brushing a thinned wash of black over the trucks will bring out the details and darken them up. test the color on something before doing this. A touch of rust, dirt and grime here and there will add flavor.

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

And to think I was going to add a sprig of parsley? ::)

OkieRick

Thanks!

I have photos to work from and plenty of wipes and powders and paints to cover the trucks.  If the wheels show I'll blue them.  Fortunately I bought a GP39A and dummy of ebay a couple months ago.  The motorized A unit gave out so I have plenty of aluminum looking trucks to test color.

I'm reserving the B unit dummy to use with the GP40 DCC.  Soundtraxx makes a TSU-1000 EMD 645 Sound & DCC decoder on a swap-out circuit board.  The B or dummy will have to hold the speakers.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman