News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gas-Electric Doodlebug

Started by Jake, March 10, 2007, 09:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Where the heck are these things coming from?! I've found like 10,000,000,000 of them on eBay but none here or on www.MicroMark.com are they being stolen from the warehouse or something?
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

lanny

Hi Jake,

This is just a 'guess'. I have a Spectrum Doodlebug which is, I believe 'DCC ready' (ready to plug in a decoder of your choice'.

I don't think Bachmann has made these for awhile. But recently, somewhere, I remember seeing something about the Doddlebug being 'reissued'(?) around Sept. of this year. I'm guessing that it will be the 'new run', and if so, I am also 'guessing' that it will be 'DCC Onboard' (ready for Bachmann or other DCC operation).

Perhaps you are seeing so many on eBay, or discount online stores, etc. because many want to sell their current 'Doddlebug' in advance of the coming new run. I think that Bachmann may also have a 'trailer' (?) for the Doddlebug.

All of this is just 'guesstimate' ... unless someone else, like Mr. Bach Man, confirms or tells you I'm totally wrong (which is altogether possible :-).

Pesonally, I really like my little Spectrum Doddlebug. So much so that I painted it for a 'fallen flag RR' (Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern RR) which never had or used them, being an electrified line for most of its life (I rode their trolleys as a kid).

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

I might have to find me one of these cheap jewels I got one that part of the dummy truck is missing and Bachmann never did send me the repair parts.

Stephen

Nigel

Quote from: lanny on March 10, 2007, 10:52:49 AM
........ But recently, somewhere, I remember seeing something about the Doddlebug being 'reissued'(?) around Sept. of this year. I'm .......

Hi Lanny;

In the first post in the HO section of this board there is the following:

"DCC Gas-Electric Doodlebug w/ trailer coach: Painted, unlettered olive green, B&O green,"

It is in the Spectrum section.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

lanny

That's it! Thanks Nigel.

lanny nicolet

Atlantic Central

They haven't been made in a few years, but there are lots of them out there still new in the box on dealer shelves.

As for Ebay, anything that sits around a little and then gets sold off cheap is likely to end up in excess on there.

Sheldon

the Bach-man

Dear Jake,
My guess is that Lanny's exactly right.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

John Murphy

I just wish Bachmann would make a 65' doodlebug for those of us with less than 22" curves....  Would love to have dcc and sound in my belt-drive 'bugs".

HOplasserem80c

can a doodlebug make a 18 turn?

HOplasserem80c

i have a 80 foot plug door and it runs fine on 18 radius trurns

jon grant 4472

Quote from: John Murphy on March 11, 2007, 12:12:44 AM
I just wish Bachmann would make a 65' doodlebug for those of us with less than 22" curves....  Would love to have dcc and sound in my belt-drive 'bugs".

I managed to squeeze an MRC decoder into mine - just.

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/843/B_O_railcar_part1.wmv
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/843/B_O_railcar_part2.wmv

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

lanny

HOplasserem80c

I can't give a definitive answer to your question about the Spec. Doodlebug negotiating 18" radius track. I suppose part of the answer would deal with how much free 'play' the power truck and the trailing truck in your Doddlebug has.

Experts on the forum could give you a much better answer, but I think that with rolling stock such as 80' HO cars, the trucks and coupers might often be one piece so they swing freely. I don't think the Spectrum Doddlebug has that much 'truck swivel play'. I 'assume' that if track is laid very carefully, it probably will negotiate 18" radius curves.

I have found that even with weight added above the power truck, my Doddlebug just doesn't have the 'power' to pull a trailer up my long 2.7%+ grades. But that's okay ... it does fine by itself and that's all I use it for ... stopping at every little wayside station and/or 'whistle stop' that my mainline passenger trains zip by.

lanny

stj_lc

Jon--Very nice model and sound. I am just getting around to DCC for my club. I have the 81409 series (B&M) with the 8 pin plug. I have read that there is a problem with that socket blowing decoders. What series is yours and did you have any problem? Does the headlight work ok?
Thanks for your  help    Dan

Guilford Guy

My doodlebug will negotiate 18" radii!
I love how the coupler is attached to the ruck so when the truck swivels so does the  coupler. I managed to run a mixed freight around 18" turns with a mixed train in tow with no problems whatsoever.

Peace!
Alex

johndmuller

Dan (stj_lc)

There is an advisory somewhere (like an old thread here or on a site offering help on decoders) that warns of problems with the 'DCC ready' socket/terminals being miswired.

As I recall, two of the lines were switched and this could lead to problems under certain circumstances.  I believe that the problem does not affect the simpler decoders as they do not use the miswired contacts.  Probably headlight only decoders and likely headlight/taillight decoders would be OK and more complicated ones would be vulnerable or something like that.

There was a simple fix involving cutting a trace or two on the bug's pc-board and the problematic trace(s) can be apparently be easily seen as well.