News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gas-Electric Doodlebug

Started by Jake, March 10, 2007, 09:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Smith9

To anyone:

I am trying to take the doodlebug apart. How do you remove the body from the underframe????

Do you pry the sides from the frame, I tried this and was afraid to break the sides and the window frames.

The blowup of the parts isn't a very good help to take the unit apart.

I would like to add new underbody detail, ladder grabs on the roof, grabs on the doors and various other details without totally destroying the unit.

Thanks for your help

Al

lanny

Hi Al,

This won't be much help ... others will be able to give you some step by step instructions. But when I took my Spec doodlebug apart, about a year + ago, to paint it and add people inside, I remember it was quite difficult.

Someone then suggested, if I remember correctly:

(1) making sure all the correct screws, couplers (I am guessing here, not having my doodlebug at the computer to look at), etc. are removed.

(2) gently, with a very thin edge tool (like a small jewler's screw driver) pry the body open just a little in one place, and then insert a 'flact' style toothpick.

(3) watch for plastice tabs that lock the body to the under carriage (so you don't snap them off). If you see any, pry them gently loose to release the body from the under carriage and again, add a flat toothpick in that place.

I think, with patience,  little by little,  you should be able to get the doodlebug shell seperated from the body. It can be done for sure, because I did it, painted the shell and added people and weight over the rear truck (inside) and got all back together.

Best wishes in your efforts!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Rich R

Hi Lanny,

You're correct on that and using a thin flat tool like a number 11 blade or an Artists palette knife perhaps? ( dull is fine) go around the sides and gently ease the body up and off. The problem that I had was that when it was assembled they used a ton of glue to hold in the windows and that ran down and basically locked the body and interior to the frame. Once the glue bond that shouldn't be there is broken it comes apart easily.

NOTE!  WARNING ( yup here it comes) Inside of my packaged railcar (doodlebug) there was a small warning insert with a drawing of the circuit to be modified if..
"WARNING! IF USING AN ADVANCED POLARIZED DCC DECODER, THE GREEN JUMPER WIRE MUST BE CUT.
NOTE: FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT YOUR DCC MANUFACTURER."

There is an illustration showing the diagonal green wire. Make a drawing of dots. Two rows of four vertically. number them left to right 1, 2 3 4 etc. the green wire connects 4 to 5.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Rich R

Al Smith9

Larry

A big thank you for your suggestion about the tooth picks to pry the doodlebug apart. I tried your method and it worked very well. As soon as I had the toothpicks along the sides the frame just slipped out of the top unit. I am now working on the additions and modifications.

Again THANK YOU!!!

aL

jon grant 4472

Quote from: stj_lc on March 14, 2007, 05:08:46 PM
Jon--Very nice model and sound. I am just getting around to DCC for my club. I have the 81409 series (B&M) with the 8 pin plug. I have read that there is a problem with that socket blowing decoders. What series is yours and did you have any problem? Does the headlight work ok?
Thanks for your  help    Dan

Hi Dan,

Sorry but I dont know what series mine was.

I found the easiest way to add MRC DCC soundchip was to rip out the 8-pin and board, and hard wire the decoder to the pickups, motor and light.

I mounted the speaker under the seats.

If memory serves, the 8 pin socket was situated in such a way that if I had used it for the decoder the roof would not have fitted back onto the railcar.

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

donu

Caboose Hobbies has several Doodlebugs listed on its web site.  However,
they aren't expected until June 2007.

TomK1

I have just purchased a Bachmann Spectrum Santa Fe Doodlebug #81403.  Can anyone tell me if this is a simple plug slot for DCC and, if so, what decoder to use.  I would like to get DCC and Sound if possible.  My Doodlebug did not come with any DCC instructions mentioned in the previous replies.

Appreciate any help - I am totally new to adding DCC.

Tom Konczal

TomK1

jon grant 4472,

Can you tell me which decoder and sound chipset you put into your doodlebug - it looks and sounds GREAT!!

Tom Konczal

repeters1

Anyone with a Doodlebug from Bachmann can go here to find the repai for the shorted # 3 &#7 pins:

http://home.neo.rr.com/mrwithdcc/doodleb.html

I used my ohm meter and found the short then used a safety pin to scratch / break the connection. No more short.
I would like to know also what decoder is used to get function and sound. Anyone???
Pete