News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax Drive Train

Started by Dave, October 05, 2008, 04:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

This is probably for the Bach Man.
                                                  The rear universal immediate to the Transverse Gearbox has broken so I have E'mailed the service Dept but can't seem to get a reply. If it had of been any of the other Uni's I probably could have lived with that but this is the one that has the magnets glued to it that triggers off my Sierra Sound.  Could you please ask the service Dept if the part is available as I would love to get the sound going again.
          Many Thanks

Dave
                        Waikino
                           New Zealand

Cascade Northern

You have to call the service department from what I hear.  I hear that they never answer their email.

the Bach-man

Dear Dave,
As you live down under, I'll forward your post to the service department.
thanks!
the Bach-man

Dave

:)Thankyou Bach Man,
                      You are indeed a Scholar and a Gentleman.

Dave

Dave

Gidday there Bach man,
                           Still hav'nt heard from the service dept regarding a replacement rear drive shaft for my Climax.

Cheers
                     Dave
                     Waikino
                     NZ

Steve Stockham

You may be out of luck as the Climax has been out of production for almost a decade. Bachmann didn't keep a bin of replacement parts to repair these models.

altterrain

Dave,

Sent you an email.

-Brian
President of

Dave

Cheers Brian,
                  Got it, but will give Bachmann a couple more days and then I will try the alternative.

Dave

Okarito

Hi Dave,

Another drive train issue, probably also for Sam to try and sort - I am seeking new yokes for the rear universals, both yokes are split after a learner driver hit the emergency brake button with the loco pulling a full load!, I note that the loco has not been produced for 10 years but surely there should be drive train spare parts on hand? Anyway can we still get these parts? - I have had the same issues trying to get to the spare parts dept.

Looking for the rear drive bogie yoke that fits onto the worm drive fitting in the rear end of the bogie, and the one at the other end of the shaft that fits into the universal disc.

cheers
Okarito

Dave

Gidday there Okarito,
                        Yes, your problem is the same as mine and it appears that parts are very rare. My breakage was'nt the result of heavy breaking, it just fell apart. I suspect that the rear drive truck may have momemtarily lost power and that would have loaded up the drive train. There is no provision for the drive train to slip if there is a difference in power to both trucks.   We live and learn with these things.
   My next project is to overhaul my Climax and the first thing that I do will be to hard wire the two power trucks together ,and like the Shay I have, free wheel the drive at the rear truck. The shaft must keep turning as it triggers off the sound.

Cheers

Dave

Jon D. Miller

Dave,
While you are obtaining parts from Bachmann get one of the 2 piece rear drive shafts.  This shaft will eliminate torque loading that causes universal failure.

This was a running change that Bachmann applied to the Climax.  They provided owners of the early run Climax with this drive shaft at no cost.

This drive shaft was still available about 6 months ago so the Service Dept. may still have a supply.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Dave

Thanks JD,
            that looks like the answer,but I can't get the service dept to contact me. Have sent them E'mails but no reply yet.

Cheers
                   Dave

Jon D. Miller

Dave,

Contact me off net.

E-mail me at jlsclw@aol.com and I'll fill you in on the two piece drive shaft.

For subject line on your e-mail use Climax Drive Shaft so the e-mail doesn't get bounced as spam.

Trying to get a response from Bachmann by e-mail is just about mission impossible.  I either send a letter or if willing to spend some time on the phone, then I'll call.  Not really good options for you.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Dave

Well Bach Man,

Still no response from the service Dept regarding the replacement drive shaft that was issued to fix the early Climax drive shaft problem.
                     Any ideas

Dave
                           Waikino
                           New Zealand

Dave

A bit of a pity that I can't get a reply from Bachmann regarding the drive shaft problem. I have about $7000 worth of Bachmann Locos and rolling stock but  that would seem to be a small drop in the ocean for them.

Dave Cole
                         Waikino
                         New Zealand