News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trains staying connected on track

Started by tmacari, October 25, 2008, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmacari

It is difficult to keep the trains attached to one another. What's the deal? it is so frustrating. They keep falling off. 
tm

fieromike

It can be several things.  First, how smooth is your trackwork?  Does it have any abrupt changes in elevation, humps, or kinks?
Second, look at your couplers.  The Rapido type coupler has a tendency to droop over time.  EVERY coupler should be horizontal, not pointing up or down.  Does every coupler fully couple with the adjacent one on the next car?  Once you do all the fine tuning, you should have much less trouble.
If you want to get serious with the hobby, I suggest that you investigate and convert to Micro-Trains couplers.  Properly done, these are rock solid.

tmacari

HI, Thanks for your response and insight. I think the couplers are the problem. They do droop somewhat. What would I need for N scale model?
Also, can the bulb inside the train cars be replaced? Thanks, tm 

Frisco

They have all the information you could want on their website.                       http://www.micro-trains.com/

taz-of-boyds

tm,

You should be able to get to the Micro Trains web site at:

http://www.micro-trains.com/

The bulbs seem to be replaceable in general, you will need to figure out what kind of bulb it is, size, voltage etc. figure out how it is wired in etc. do a little surgery, blah blah...

Charles

TCWORLD

I would agree with the problem lying in the couplers, ive experianced the same issue. Ive bought a car fitted with micro-trains trucks recently to see what the couplers were like, by putting swapping one of the trucks with that on another piece of rolling stock i was join the two together to pull them around and test the couplers. I have to say they are excellent.
Ive in fact just bought a load to convert all my stock.

(i found this very helpful when working out which id need)
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-