News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

help with track layout

Started by yuri, October 05, 2008, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yuri

I am trying to layout an ho scale track around my soons room and am having difficulty making the track fit at the corners. where can I find a tool to calculate the correct pieces to fit at these corners

LooseClu

There is a freeware track planning software program that uses Atlas track that would allow you to figure how to lay track in those corners.  Try this web site:  <http://www.winrail.com>  They will sell you an updated version but will also allow you to download the free version.  Its a simple program that will allow you to play with track design right away- its easy and you don't even have to read a manual before you get going (of course if all else fails.... there is an adequate  instructional program included).  When you get the design down, a simple push of a button will list everything you need in the way of track items to build what you've just designed.  It does not have all the bells and whistles of the their latest updated version but it is fun to play with and will show you what radius of curve will fit into how much space.  If I had a nickel for every layout I've designed on that software I could have bought their retail version by now.

pdlethbridge

Running Bear

Great isn't the word for it. I've used it as an aid for planning additions to my own layout.
Running Bear

pdlethbridge

Running Bear

Running Bear

Joe Satnik

Dear Yuri,

You start with a certain radius curve track and fashion (custom cut) the corner shelf pieces to that radius & the width of your shelf.  So...

How wide are your shelves? (Actual measurement, nearest sixteenth of an inch.)  What type of material? 

Will there be a gap between the shelf and the wall?  (eg. shelf brace thickness)  If so, how much?

How far from the wall do you want the center line of your track?

What radius curves do you want to use?

Have you thought of adding a siding or sidings, or a double main line?

What make and style of track are you using?

Also, please confirm that it is HO track we're talking about here.   (Posting in the wrong sub-forum has happened before.)

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.