News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Would you like to see a Spectrum 2-8-2!

Started by Alex V., March 10, 2007, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex V.

How many of you guys want to see Bachmann produce a generic 2-8-2 Mikado in HO Spectrum?  Something to go along with the 4-6-0, maybe.  I'd like an 8-coupled loco for my pike, but the 2-8-0 doesn't really jump out at me.  Who's with me?  I know they're disgussing it on the 4-6-2 thread, but I thought I'd give it a seperate topic to itself.
Alex - Owner/Operator
          Western Overland R.R.

Orsonroy

I would, but so long as it's NOT NOT NOT anything USRA (there are PLENTY of those on the market already!)

How about a Harriman Mike? Designed in 1906, they're anything but a USRA lookalike, and would satisfy SP, UP, IC, Alton, GM&O, and other proto modelers, while giving freelancers something new to use in their fleets.

Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

Virginian

What I would like to see is a separate board for all the "I wants".  But, I guess that's about as likely as B'mann satisfying a lot of these requests.
"What could have happened... did."

lanny

I'm in total agreement with Orsonroy's suggestion. My layout would doubtless find room for 3 or 4 Harriman style Mikes, specially if they were of Spectrum quality.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Hoople

Harriman mikes in SP and UP sounds fine n' dandy to me.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Nigel

Quote from: Alex V. on March 10, 2007, 06:11:57 PM
How many of you guys want to see Bachmann produce a generic 2-8-2 Mikado in HO Spectrum?  .....

There is an HO Spectrum 2-8-2 - the SY.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Orsonroy

Quote from: Nigel on March 10, 2007, 11:28:15 PM
Quote from: Alex V. on March 10, 2007, 06:11:57 PM
How many of you guys want to see Bachmann produce a generic 2-8-2 Mikado in HO Spectrum?  .....

There is an HO Spectrum 2-8-2 - the SY.

Nigel, that's like saying that Bachmann shouldn't have come out with a 2-10-2 because they already had the QJ. You know as well as anyone else that the SY is a CHINESE engine, and that we're talking about AMERICAN prototypes. While you CAN make the SY look "Americanish", you can't really turn it into a 1940s-1950s era US or Canadian engine (it's the drivers that do it in)
Ray Breyer

SteamGene

What Nigel is pointing out is the simple fact that a Spectrum 2-8-2 actually does exist.  It's possible that the original poster is not aware of this fact.  He did not indicate that the SY is a replacement for a Mike built in the U.S. between 1915 and 1940.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

brad

NO,

I'd rather see a 2-6-0. 2-6-2, 4-6-2, high drivered 4-4-2 anything but ANOTHER Mikado, there's enough of them already.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Bill Baker

Count me in on another Spectrum 2-8-2.  I mentioned on another thread that I would like an Americanized 2-8-2 SY, but after seeing a picture of the Harriman that Orsonroy posted, I would definintely get a couple of those.  They are very beautiful and clean locomotives.
Bill

wade

Well how about properly detailed to the transition era USRA mikes. They often look completely different than the stock 1918 originals. NKP H-5s and H-6s were technically USRAs but the pictures from the 40s and 50s make them look like a different animal . Or how about a B&O Q-4b. While they were only slightly larger than USRAs ,they were distinct in appearence and Bachmann already makes a vandy tender to match! Brad mentioned 4-4-2. That would be cool. Or how about a dutch (fat boilered, WM or RDG styled) 2-8-0 or 2-10-0.
Wade
Wade

Orsonroy

Quote from: wade on March 11, 2007, 04:09:43 PM
Well how about properly detailed to the transition era USRA mikes. They often look completely different than the stock 1918 originals. NKP H-5s and H-6s were technically USRAs but the pictures from the 40s and 50s make them look like a different animal .

H-5 Mikes were anything BUT USRA engines! They were built starting in 1914 by the NYC out of NYC-designed large Consolidations. The NKP's 35 examples were some of the later (1917) engines built from the ground up. None of the NYC's Mikes, with the exception of the H-6 and H-9 series, looked anything like USRA engines.

As an example:

H-5 Mike to the left, H-6 to the right.

Unfortunately, we'll never see a road-specific later-period Mike, unless it's something like a Pennsu L-1 or an NYC H-10. USRA engines went through a LOT of changs over the years, changes that were too numerous and varied to make them cost-effective to do in plastic. That's why you have to "roll your own", like I do:
Ray Breyer

r.cprmier

While the SY is a mike, and that Bachmann did indeed produce it is a fact; it is a Chinese prototype-not an American; and an American prototype is what people would like.

I have built what could have been a small mike on almost any American standard gauge road out of an SY 9 (a lot of you have seen those pictures).  THis little engine had lent itself marvelously to my endeavour, but I think a mike might be  food for thought. 

On the other hand, BLI has a great USRA (heavens, that word...) light and heavy, that could lend themselves to a wide variety of adaptations.  To flood the market with what may be too many themes of the same kind might not be all that good a move.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

lanny

Orsonroy,

You once sent me the name of a supplier of the NKP/ICRR style steam headlights, which I have subsequently lost or deleted ( the beautiful model of your NKP mike is a good example of that headlight).

What companies make them as super detail parts ... I need to stock up on several for my Spectrum 'kit bashes'.

Thanks!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Alex V.

Gene,
   I had temporarily forgotten about the Spectrum SY, but it's still CHINESE!  >:(  For those who are good at modifying and superdetailing, then just buy an SY and "Americanize" it - but people like me, that aren't very good at heavily modifying models, need something that they can bring home and run without having to completely rebuild it first.
Alex - Owner/Operator
          Western Overland R.R.