News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Would you like to see a Spectrum 2-8-2!

Started by Alex V., March 10, 2007, 06:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Rich,
I was not thinking Cal Scale.  I was thinking plastic from molds that mostly already exist.   Major missing component would be feedwater heaters and their pumps. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

wade

Scott, Thanks for the information. I thougth Bowser had produced an H-5 . I could be mistaken. Does anyone know?
Wade
Wade

SteamGene

AFAIK, Bowser has done the PRR Mike (L-1?) and the USRA light.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Orsonroy

Quote from: wade on March 27, 2007, 04:44:37 PM
Scott, Thanks for the information. I thougth Bowser had produced an H-5 . I could be mistaken. Does anyone know?
Wade

Gene's right: Bowser has only done the USRA light and the L-1 (they've got the Cary USRA heavy boiler, so I suppose you can count that too).

But NO ONE's done an H-5 besides Overland. I know; I'm modeling the NYC (P&E) and NKP in the 1940s, and need a few. What's below represents a HUGE chunk of my hobby budget over the past decade!

These things are rare and expensive. From what I've heard, only 225 were ever made in the early 1980s, and they're lusted over by most HO scale NYC and NKP modelers. It took me five years to find my three!

I'd absolutely love it if someone came out with the H-5 in plastic, almost as much as I'd enjoy seeing the Harriman Mikes. I'd rather they were NOT released by Proto though; their models are too expensive, don't pull well, and aren't released often. Bachmann would be perfect: I'd be willing to sacrifice some fine detailing for a solid, reliable, affordable, and AVAILABLE engine!
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

lanny

QuoteI'd be willing to sacrifice some fine detailing for a solid, reliable, affordable, and AVAILABLE engine!

Sorry about this Gene, but I have to again say 'yes indeed' to Ray's comment (for the 405th time now, I think! Let's have some Spec Harrimans!   :D

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

wade

Quote from: Orsonroy on March 28, 2007, 11:12:12 AM
Quote from: wade on March 27, 2007, 04:44:37 PM
Wade

Gene's right: Bowser has only done the USRA light and the L-1 (they've got the Cary USRA heavy boiler, so I suppose you can count that too).

But NO ONE's done an H-5 besides Overland. I know; I'm modeling the NYC (P&E) and NKP in the 1940s, and need a few. What's below represents a HUGE chunk of my hobby budget over the past decade!

These things are rare and expensive. From what I've heard, only 225 were ever made in the early 1980s, and they're lusted over by most HO scale NYC and NKP modelers. It took me five years to find my three!

I'd absolutely love it if someone came out with the H-5 in plastic, almost as much as I'd enjoy seeing the Harriman Mikes. I'd rather they were NOT released by Proto though; their models are too expensive, don't pull well, and aren't released often. Bachmann would be perfect: I'd be willing to sacrifice some fine detailing for a solid, reliable, affordable, and AVAILABLE engine!
Thanks for more great information.Brass only-225 of them. Come on Bachmann, help us out! NKP and NYC are both rather popular! I shouldn't be greedy. Thanks again Bachmann for the 2-8-0s, the 2-6-6-2s, the loggers and especially the Ma&Pa engines.
  I found some additional information on the NKP H-5s. Nickel Plate Magazine, produced by the Nickel Plate Road Historic and Technical Society, Spring 2006. Being a member usually I read them pretty quick but this one got buried in the workshop. Its disapointing to read how close to being saved the 524(965) was but still got scrapped.
  Wade
Wade