World's Longest Model Train attempt 10-9 thru 10-13-08

Started by Joe Satnik, October 08, 2008, 07:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Rick Cartwright (a.k.a. Rick the Railroad Guy) is attempting to set the world's record for model train length

this weekend in the Phoenix, AZ area. (10-9 thru 10-13-08)

For more details please visit his website: 

http://ricktherailroadguy.com/longestmodeltrain.html

Rick says thanks to everyone that has helped in any way. 

His website has live video streaming available. 

Rick is the first person to attempt this on gauge 1 (large scale) track in 1:29 scale.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

glennk28

depends on how you define train length.  by car count, I believe NTrak ran over 500 cars some 20 or more years ago. 

Joe Satnik

Dear Glenn,

Rick is aware of the car# vs. length vs. scale length issue.

Current record:

An HO (1:87.1) scale model train measuring 110.3 m ( 361 ft 10 in) made up of 3 locomotives of type "lore" and 887 carriages was constructed by Miniature Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany, on November 27, 2005. If the model had been a full-scale train it would have measured 9.607 km (5.969 miles) long.

The one old record that I have a detailed article on (long since broken a few times) is:

751 cars (smashing a 501 car previous record)

670 feet (which is greater than 2 football fields)

Conservative (1:48) multiplier gives 6.091 scale miles.

July 26, 1980

Stewart Roberts' group of ~50 from Columbus, Ohio.

Lionel O gauge Modern cars, mix of Postwar and Modern 2 motor Electrics and Diesels with Magnetraction.

Straight line, leveled track, greater than 4 football fields long.  Multiple AC powerpacks along the line.   

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

az2rail

Well,  I talked to a guy at "rail-fair" today, and they were supposed to attempt this, this afternoon. I wonder how it went?

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

I am not impressed with train lenght or number of cars if thats all these and others are attempting. A straight track or or extra large radi curve put together for such an attempt takes away from the effort and glory. I don't know about any others listed here, but the 501 record was EARNED. To use a club layout with curves and grades built with no intent  except to operate trains was a real accomplishment. The planing of # of engines, where to locate them, how and where to wieght the cars took some seriouse planing and that is what impressed me. The others are records, but adding more straight track, power packs, cars, and engines can be done to break "records" over and over. Pick a layout, then try to run 501 train is not so easy. I am just saying what impressed me, my opinion.
Not trying to ruin anybodies fun. I am curious how things came out and under what conditions. Thanks.

az2rail

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Atlantic Central

I agree with #94, contrived record breaking/setting is an empty exercise in self promotion. I'm not interested or impressed.

Sheldon

Loco Bill Canelos

In my HO scale days I once ran a train of 107 cars (eight were cabooses.  I used four Athearn Sd40-2's on the front with no mid train engines or pushers. I did it on a modular layout, and I used only stock Athearn cars and MDC cars.  The only planning I did was to put all the lighter cars like flat cars at the rear.  We were putting on a show at a Public library at the time.   

I did it because I was on duty for over seven hours at the time and bored out of my skull!!!   Like most other I see no real purpose in such things, but it did relieve the bordom and was fun at the time!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Paul M.

If you click on the link in the website for the "live video" of them attempting to set the record, you'll see a video of them sitting around a barbecue drinking beer.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Atlantic Central

"sitting around a barbecue drinking beer"  - Well that really looses my interest and makes it a place I won't be found. To each his own, but that's not for me - or my children or grandchildren.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Which bothers you, Sheldon - the barbeque or the beer?  :D  In any event, it sounds like the junior high locker room to me.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Rick's attempt is on a huge outdoor layout (not a straight line, not level) that is not lit for nighttime running.

You tuned in duing "Miller Time". 

How many of us wish we could have been there?  (Medium Well, please.)

How many of us strive to make perfectly weathered rolling stock, scenes and photos?

How many of us want perfect (no derailments) trackwork?

The length record is just another aspect of model railroading that Rick wants to excel at.

Setting the record certainly wouldn't hurt his business, which is building garden railroad empires.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

Atlantic Central

Gene and all,

As for the Barbeque, make mine beef, simple and medium rare. As for the beer, I will skip that part. As I said "to each his own".

I will admit, I am not an overly "social" person and "barbeque and beer" reminds me of people and places better left in the past.

Joe,

I don't see this as a bad thing, just not something that interests me. I am not automaticly interested just because a train is involved.

"I used to be well rounded until I learned what I really like." I now stay pretty focused on my goals - this is not on that list.

Sheldon

Santa Fe buff

Better have some Kadees! Also, some tough power, for those are the faults in my friends longer trains. Couplers come lose or derail the truck, or the engine can't even start up!

I'd like to see that train. ;)
- Joshua Bauer

ebtnut

I remember that The Model Railroad Club in New Jersey made an attempt years ago at a "long train" record--maybe 400 cars?  They spaced out the motive power throughout the train to help control slack and reduce strain on the couplers.   Think about it--if each car weighed about 3 oz. each, that would come to 75 pounds at the front couplers, not counting rolling friction.  That was back in the days when all Kadees were metal, though.