News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A Class J Southern Cresent?

Started by chuff_n_puff, October 09, 2008, 05:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

Has anyone ever heard tell of a Class J Southern Cresent, like the Class J Norfolk and Western? I just saw a print of one and thought I had saw every thing. I am a long time Southern Railway fan and have never even heard of one. It is just like the Class J N&W with the same wheel pattern, but in the classic Southern green paint scheme. If there is such a jewel out there in HO scale, I would sure like to get my hands on one! If anyone knows any thing, give me a holler!

SteamGene

The Southern had some 2-8-0s in their Class J.  It had two "streamlined" Pacifics which look vaguely like a N&W J class.  It had a fair number of 4-8-2s, but it had no 4-8-4s at all. The last Southern steam locomotive purchased was in ca 1926.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

pdlethbridge

it could have been mistaken for a 4-8-4

Pacific Northern

I remember seing a picture at Steamtown years ago of a Canadian semi-streamlined steam engine that had been used as a stand in for a Southern passenger engine in a movie. If memory serves me the engine was a CN Northern.

The pic was in black and white so the colour was uncertain. 

Perhaps that was the mystery engine.
Pacific Northern

WoundedBear

Don't mean to derail the thread....but...I think we, as a community, need to be careful of hotlinking to outside photographs. The one PDLethbridge posted is hotlinked to southernrailfan.net

My concern is having Bachmann Corp land in hot water over what is essentially bandwidth theft. I have seen other PHB bords actually shut down over this abuse.

A better way to do it is to just post the link to the photo and let folks click on it, or, if the photo is not copyrighted, to post it in your own album on Photobucket or a similar hosting service and link from there.

Not tryin to rag on you in particular PDLeth.....just tryin to keep the site safe.

Sid

TomPowell

I am looking at my brass model of the Southern Crescent locomotive which was produced by the Franklin Mint.  The only thing I have done to it is to put a KeDee #5 coupler on the tender so it can be a working locomotive.  It has been run only a couple of times.  My reason for parting with it is that I am a Canadian Pacific modeller and the Southern Crescent simply doesn't fit into my livery stable.

I have never even looked at a price for it.  Does anyone out there have a value I should put on it?

To the person who wants a Southern Crescent locomotive, I would be happy to have you be in touch with me, or if I  knew how to contact you, I would do this.

Thanks

chuff_n_puff

The picture posted by pdlethbridge is not it. The photo I saw is a 8X10 portrait for sale on ebay. It is item #190258248008. It stated it pulled The Tennessean passenger cars.

SteamGene

That's the streamlined Pacific I mentioned earlier.  Count the wheels.   ;D As I said, it looks vaguely like a N&W Class J, but it's a Southern PS-4, cab number 1380. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtnut

The Southern put a bullet-nose streamlining job on one of its' Ps4's for service on the "Tennessean".  And since that train connected with the N&W at Bristol, TN, that loco and the N&W J's could appear side by side.

ebtnut

RAM

I doubt it ran any faster, but just to look at it it looks like speed.