News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"Bobber caboose"

Started by ppowell, March 10, 2007, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppowell

I want to build a "bobber"from a Bachmann On30 caboose. Can you buy an undecorated car "kit" or must I first take one apart to get the components? Does anyone have another suggestion for a small caboose that is compatable (coupler height ect) for On30.

Different topic- I wanted a short flat car for my Quarryand I found that it is quite easy to cut out the center section of a Bachmann flat car with a fine saw, glue it back together using the parts that fall out when the frame is cut, and you have a neat small car.

the Bach-man

Dear ppowell,
You'll have to modify a built-up caboose, as there are no kits. There are also several wood caboose bodies available, such as those made by Mount Blue, which mount on various underframes.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Rich R

You could modify the Grandt line CS caboose which is a kit. It's on3 however but move the cupola to the center and re gauge and you have a nice little four wheel caboose.
300-93071      Colorado & Southern 4-Wheel Caboose Kit On3
Might be still available? 
Valley Model trains has them in stock now.

Oh, sorry.

Cheers,
Rich R

felix

In our impecunious state on the HSRR we tried bashing a $8 Bachmann HO bobber by adding height etc and it didn't turn out too bad, just a tad on the narrow side, but I suppose you could add width too. You get instant compatability in running gear, too.

Felix aka El Cheapo

NelsOn-30

ppowell

International hobbies at

http://www.interhobmodels.com/

have 14ft cabooses kits with or without cupola.
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

Patrick

Check out Boulder Valley cabooses (cabeese ?)at this url:

http://hometown.aol.com/on30resinkits/caboose.html

Patrick

Woody Elmore

International Hobbies has a couple of small bobber cabooses. These kits are styrene kits, come complete with trucks, and do not overpower Bachmann cars.

In addition Boulder Valley makes cast resin replacement sides for the International Models kits.  These make bobber combines and baggage cars.

Melinda

I think the original question was about a "bobber" caboose, which is a 4-wheel car. The International/Chivers cars are 8-wheelers, which means they're not bobbers as supplied - you'd have to make or kitbash a 4-wheel underframe for them (you could do the same for the bachmann caboose).

The Grandt kit IS a bobber; I don't know if it can be re-gauged for 30", but maybe it's possible. I don't know if they'll sell the complete underframe assembly, but the pedestals (axle journals and mounting apparatus) are sold separately.

ksivils

All you have to do to convert a Grandt On3 product to On30 is purchase NWSL replacement wheelsets that are specifically made for Grandt On3 trucks.  These wheelsets are On3 axles made for the Grandt line trucks, with the wheels gauged to On30. 

It's that easy.

Woody Elmore

The Grandt C&S caboose has a fully detailed underframe and regauged wheels could cause a problem by hitting the inner truss rods on curves. This problem will happen with most truss rod On3 cars regauged to On30. This could be addressed in the assembly of the kit. Also there would be an issue with coupler height.

Grandt used to sell the various assemblies separately and I know that you can buy the C&S pedestals.

I realize that the IH kit has two trucks but it could  be made into a two axle bobber using some Grandt Line parts. It is a very tiny little caboose and fits in nicely with the Bachmann equipment.

Ozzie

Being new to ON30 I have the advantage of not knowing what should/should not be done, I have converted my Bachmann caboose into a bobber by buying a cheap secondhand german HO four wheel freight car with the wheel base I wanted and chopped it to suit the bachmann unit and the KD height gauge.
Cheap and chearful, but it suites me.

Jimbo

I am almost done converting an inexpensive LGB 'Gnomy' caboose into a 2 axle bobber to go with my skeleton log cars. I cut off the plastic end 'wall', enlarged the end doors, added 1/4" to each end platform, installed KD couplers, drilled a center mounting hole in the floor, and popped an ON30 passenger truck under the body. The journals match up to the molded Gnomy undercarriage springs and the trucks fit into the frames with very little trimming. The Gnomy frame covers the top half of the passenger truck and the couplers match up to the log buggies. The 'Gnomie' is shorter and lower than the Bachman Caboose, and looks good behind the Shay.
   I also converted a Bachman C&S caboose, trimming an underframe of an inexpensive Fleishman 2 axle car (Allied Trains had them real cheap). It turned out very well.
Another source to consider is the undercarriage of an H-O Thomas Troublesome Truck. The two axles are spaced slightly wider than an ON30 passenger truck.

hminky

Bachmann has the Thomas trains gondola that has a 4 wheel carriage. It would also make a good On30 1880's coal jimmy.

Harold

max (uk)

Quote from: Jimbo on May 15, 2007, 09:07:03 AM
   I am almost done converting an inexpensive LGB 'Gnomy' caboose into a 2 axle bobber to go with my skeleton log cars.

How funny. Im also doing that  :D I used a old hornby coach bogey and i couldnt work out how to fit the couplings so i gave it to a freind who says he'll post it to me when hes done.

Royce Wilson

:-\   I model in On30 and have converted a C&S Grandt Line caboose to a Denver South Park & Pacific 1886 way car.
I will not recomend this to a novice or beginner as the underframe has to be rebuilt.
Grandt does sell the parts seperate, I had to purchase 2 seperate sides to bash a South Park bobber.
the problem you are gonna find is the Grandt line kit is quite extensive with a lot of parts that will not be used if you do not modify the rest of your fleet to match it. this caboose was built prior to the Union Pacific takeover and had no air brakes. the C&S has to squeeze the air brake under this carriage to meet federal law,it has often been a debate amoung C&S historians as to why did they not just build new cabooses like the D&RGW did. it builds into a beautiful model as is in On3,but as Woody said when you regage it there is sooooo much detail under this model it will interfere.
the jest of it is the Grandt line kits(all of them) are a work of art and fun to build, but my advice is to expermint on what you have, heck its fun to cut and bash.
take the Bachmann caboose and a razor saw and shorten it put a four wheel carriage under it, then if you have not airbrushed you need to get one. the new generation are cheap and it will open a whole new world for you.
I model 1886 Colorado and purchase Bachmann boxcars and cut bash and lengthen them. a lot of Grandt line parts and a air brushed  model and its kinda hard to tell its ancrestory.
If I was building a shortline narrow gauge quarry outfit that needed a caboose the most simple option is to shorthen a bachmann caboose and have fun, find a hobby shop in your are, even if they do not have trains plastics and styerene are the same. we can learn a lot from military modelers, ever look at there weathering? check out a magazine called "Fine Scale Modeler. its mostely about tanks,planes and military stuff, but it is packed with air brush techniques and weathering.
Royce  Wilson