News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Southern Crescent

Started by TomPowell, October 11, 2008, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomPowell

I understand that someone out there is looking for an HO model of the Southern Crescent locomitive.  I also understand that there is some discussion as to the type of locomotive it was.  I am looking at the model I have which was produced by the Franklin Mint and it is a 4-6-2.

I would be willing to sell it if the price is right.

Please let me know of your interest so we can communicate directly.

Tom Powell
tompowell@sasktel.net

Pacific Northern

I was under the impression that the Franklin Mint model was a display piece.  Are they considered to be a quality model?
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Bear,
I think the picture you posted is of the Mantua Pacific with brass superdetailing parts.  There was also a Franklin Mint Ps4 in Southern Cresent livery sometime in the early 1990s.  I believe it cost some $300 at the time.  Whether it was any good or not, I do not know.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

WoundedBear

Gene....

If you scroll down to almost the bottom of this page....

http://www.dropbears.com/b/broughsbooks/models/franklin_mint_diecast.htm

Just before the ebay ads at bottom, you'll see him list this under FM and the photo in my previous post, is his target when you click on his photo.. He says Franklin Mint, discontinued 2002.

And about 2/3rds the way down, you'll see a handfull of other HO sets listed.

Maybe Mantua built under license for Franklin Mint? Anyone know for sure?

Sid

Woody Elmore

The engine is a Mantua pacific in SRy green. The model is not really a Ps-4 as the original Manua engine was based on the B&O P-7 "president" pacifics.

As for value, it is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Being a late model Mantua it most likely the can motor version so it should run well.

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: WoundedBear on October 11, 2008, 08:01:33 PM
Gene....

If you scroll down to almost the bottom of this page....

http://www.dropbears.com/b/broughsbooks/models/franklin_mint_diecast.htm

Just before the ebay ads at bottom, you'll see him list this under FM and the photo in my previous post, is his target when you click on his photo.. He says Franklin Mint, discontinued 2002.

And about 2/3rds the way down, you'll see a handfull of other HO sets listed.

Maybe Mantua built under license for Franklin Mint? Anyone know for sure?

Sid
Would say you hit the nail on the head Sid on Mantua super detailing and painting the 4-6-2 in the southern livery for Franklin Mint.
Rocky Lives

SteamGene

Mantua did the same thing for itself, I'm almost positive.  And I know Franklin Mint  advertized a PS-4, I'm almost positive in brass.  I guess they had the Mantua as well. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

BaltoOhioRRfan

I saw one of the Souther Crescents by Franklin Mint at the GSMTS today for $95 Look just like Mantua to me.

Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: SteamGene on October 12, 2008, 05:29:01 PM
Mantua did the same thing for itself, I'm almost positive.  And I know Franklin Mint  advertized a PS-4, I'm almost positive in brass.  I guess they had the Mantua as well. 
Gene
According to the third edition of the Brown Book of brass The last run of  the Southern PS4 was imported by Pacific Fast Mail from  atlas/Asahi of Japan .......and that was back in 1976.
As to Franklin Mint or Mantua ever having a brass PS4 or any other locomotive produced or imported I find that highly unlikely.
Rocky Lives

ebtnut

The Ps-4's were essentially USRA Heavy Pacific copies, with the biggest difference being the driver size (smaller on the Southern locos).  I believe only PFM has imported correct versions of this model in brass.  The Franklin Mint models were knock-offs.