News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connie Motor slowing down

Started by shayman_2001, October 04, 2008, 07:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shayman_2001

I have an early model Connie that has worked fine for a couple of years.  However, now it gradually slows down after a few hundred feet of running.  Put in reverse and it seems fine.

Tore it down checking for binds and lube opps.  Nothing found.  Put an ammeter on it while on the test rollers and watch the current draw go from about 600ml to over 900 as the motor slowed down.  Lifting the weight of the engine off the rollers dropped the current to 300 MA range.  Behaves like a motor getting over heated.

Anybody else seen this?  Is there an improved motor available?

Thanks!!

There's always a prototype of whatever you model.

Cascade Northern

There are replacement motors sold on EvilBay every now and then.

Barry BBT

Shayman,

The motor is not exclusive to the Connie.  I have many Bachmann Motors, many new unused.  If you can change out the worm they will work for you very well.  If you can't change out the worm, I can.  Send me the old motor and $10.00 total.  If this is agreeable email me: barrysbigtrains@earthlink.net  or 623-936-6088

I am in the process of building the tooling for a replacement gear box and motor for the Connie, if that is of interest I will keep you posted if you will send me an email, for my alert file.

Barry - BBT 
There are no dumb questions.

shayman_2001

Thanks to both replies,

Evil Bay did indeed have replacement motors and the new one works fine. Now I am off to rewire the mess inside.  Anyone have access to a wiring diagram for the beast?

Barry - I am interested in keeping up with your modifications.  Will send you email.

Thanks again
Randy,
There's always a prototype of whatever you model.

Cascade Northern

I have all of the diagrams from the 2-8-0 including the wiring.  Now if I only have a scanner.....  I will try and see if taking a picture of it will work....

glennk28

Try and find a Pittman industrial can motor of the same dimensions--Extremely rugged.  The late Jerry White (Custom builder) once told me that is is almost impossible to burn one out in an O Scale loco--the same probably hjolds true for LS locos.  Stall currents are over 10 amps.  gj

Barry BBT

Just to clear the air.  My new gear box will come with a Pittman motor, which I have been using for the past 15 years.  Wound to my specs (actually Pittman options) for it's size it produces the highest torque, highest potential rpm and as has been proven over the years, reliability.  It's performance in test form has been impressive.

Currently, I am finishing the drill jigs to produce the gearboxes.  Should complete in this week.

Then tests will begin.  TOC will test the new units.  He has been running the prototype for several months, with good results.

Barry - BBT

Loco Bill Canelos

Barry,

Thanks for the update,  since Dave doesn't seem to post here anymore, could you pass on his reports on for us!!

As existing Connie Drives wear out or break, your replacement will become important to all of us.   I run the hell out of my two Connies, so far very well with carefully done lube and all, but nothing lasts forever!!

Keep up the good work.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tony Walsham

Shayman.
Did you try removing the motor "noise" suppression pcb from the top end of the motor?
Sometimes the capacitors used can fail and cause a short in one direction.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Barry BBT

From a few months ago, Dave reported that the Connie was pulling a 17 car train up his 4% grade, and he was able to accelerate up the grade.  If I recall correctly, no other of his locos could do that.

One of the features about the Connie I admired most is it's ability to move so well slowly.  When Dave reported on the initial performance I asked if that feature was still there, he said yes.  I was satisfied and started into the next step.    Dave added that the drawbar pull was 3 lbs.

I finished three of the drill jigs today and made a mistake on the fourth, so I am letting epoxy cure overnight.  Getting close.  The next steps will be to produce the parts from the drill jigs and check gear mesh and part fitting.

I'll try to keep posting on my progress.

Barry - BBT