News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amtrak's Silver Service

Started by PRRThomas11, October 17, 2008, 09:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

Hello all!-

This spring, my family and I are taking the Silver Meteor down to Disney World for vacation. I'm really excited because this is my first overnight train trip. The longest train I have ridden was the Maple Leaf up to Niagra Falls which was 10 hours. We're taking it from New York. We will be sleeping in view-liner roomettes, taking the Silver Meteor down, and the Silver Star back up.
      For anyone who has ridden this train-how was it? Can you tell me how everything went on the trip and any heads-ups I should know of. How are the rooms, are we better off in the larger bedrooms instead of roomettes?
      I have a few more questions: If you take it to go to Disney, how easy is it to get there from the station, are there taxis waiting or do you need to call for one. Also, how long do they give you to get off the train once it arrives. Its says that it arrives at around 10 o'clock, but what if you are still sleeping then?
      Also, if anyone would like to tell of an overnight trip they have taken, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks in advance!
PRRThomas11
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Woody Elmore

If you know the train arrives at 10 (I assume am) why would you still be sleeping?

Jim Banner

Woody, I would be sleeping at 10 o'clock in the morning too if I was 131 years old.

My own preference for overnight travel is a lower berth in a Pullman car.  That way you can wake up and see out at night and still ride in a large, open car during the day.  I enjoy the interaction with other travelers.  On the other hand, many people enjoy the privacy of a roomette.

Generally, trains don't sit around in stations waiting for you to pack your bags.  You are expected to be ready when the train arrives.  I assume that Amtrak, like other railways and even airlines, gives you some early warning at major stops.  "Eyebrow Saskatchewan 20 minutes.  Eyebrow." or something similar.  By the time you arrive, you should be ready to carry your personal belongings off the train and tip the Porter.

Taxis hang around air ports and train stations like flies around a dead horse.  If they want your business, they will be there.  The only exception I can remember in 60 years of travel was one time being met at an airport by a guy with a wheel barrow.  But that is another story.

Sit back, relax, enjoy the trip.  In the meantime, anticipate!

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

PRRThomas11

Jim-
     I like hearing a guy with a sense of humor.
     This summer, I had the privilege of walking through a vintage Pullman-Standard sleeper at the National Transportation Museum in St. Louis on a tour. The guide showed us how all the bunks and everything worked and it was quite fascinating. I opted to sleep in a roomette rather that the larger bedrooms because it is setup similar to the Pullman cars and you can sleep parallel to the window and look out as you lay in bed. The beds in the roomettes work similarly to the Pullman beds except, the top bunk comes down from the ceiling rather than folding down. Whats unique about Amtrak is that they were the first railroad to have windows next to the top and bottom bunks.
     Thanks for responding. I'd like to hear of some of your train rides over the years. Especially the wheelbarrow one. :D

Thanks,
PRRThomas11
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World"