Started by hminky, October 18, 2008, 01:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

We examine the Bachmann On30 Outside Frame 4-4-0 at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_4-4-0/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Frisco

Thanks for posting this. I am so glad to see your website back. I am even more glad that you are back to ON30.

Tomcat

Harold !

Great your´e back with your Hp. Just had recommended your Infos to another pal who had some questions about digitalizing the Bachmann Mogul. I had told him to do it the way you described it...

Glad you´re online again with all your helpful hints.
Kind regards+thanks a lot!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Tom

rayport

Thanks for the input. You demonstrate an important point about the prototype. Reference to the Viacao Federal Centro Oeste (VFCO) section of Small's Brazilian Steam Album, Vol. 1
(pages 78 to 99 and especially 84 to 93 for the loco photos and pages 82 and 96 to 99 for the station at Sao Joao Del Rei) at least suggests to my eye that a very similar body was carried over 4-4-0, 4-6-0, and 2-8-0 chassis. Making these Baldwins unusually flexible models. This series of Small books are great inspiration for modelling.

railtwister

Compared to the inside frame 4-4-0, the new outside frame 4-4-0 is huge. It fits very well on a layout with the outside frame 2-8-0 (which I feel is Bachmann's sweetest loco to date, followed closely by the Forneys). The O.F. 4-4-0 is a real beauty though. I hadn't intended to get one initially, but after talking on the web to a friend who has one, I jumped in with both feet and ordered one (I was holding out for a SR&RL 2-6-2 #24, but that'll probably take awhile!). This weekend, one of our group brought his O.F. 4-4-0 to our module setup, and I got to see and feel it in person (the one I ordered won't be here until next week), and watch it run on our layout. Now that I've seen it up close, I can't wait for UPS to deliver mine! If, like me, you already have the I.F. 4-4-0, and think that's enough 4-4-0's, you might want to reconsider. The outside framed version is a whole different animal, and it's a real 30" gauge prototype, not a cheater from a different gauge. Great job Bachmann!!!

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL USA

dr1953

Hi Harold and others
I understand that this is based on an 30" prototype but can anyone advise me if there is room to widen the drivers/wheels out to 3 foot gauge??? I have quite a few Bachmann locos and all have been regauged.
Thanks
Dan Rowsell
Victoria, BC

hminky

I have added a link to pictures and a scale plan PDF on the webpage.

On3? No, the locomotive is an accurate 30 inch gauge locomotive and there is no room in the frame. The OF 2-8-0 had a three foot frame.

Harold

scottychaos

Great review!
thanks!

Just one comment:

QuoteCan it be regauged to On3 ?

No, it is an accurate 30 inch gauge locomotive

Of course it can be regauged to On3!  ;D
the fact that the prototype is 30" gauge is irrelevant to that question..

it can be regauged to 6-foot gauge if you want! ;)

so its not really accurate to reply "no" to the question "Can it be regauged to On3 ? "
the answer is actually: "yes, it can be regauged to On3, or On2, or any gauge you might wish.. just be aware that it is (likely) based on a 30" gauge prototype, so the model is already accurate for On30 scale."

Scot

hminky

Sorry Scot

But it can't be regauged to On3 in it's present form because the frame doesn't allow movement of the drivers so the answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!

Of course if I made a whole new mechanism I could make a child's wooden push toy an On3 locomotive.

It is boorish louts like you that I really missed with my hiatus from trains for the last few months.

Harold

scottychaos

Quote from: hminky on October 20, 2008, 03:42:44 PM
Sorry Scot

But it can't be regauged to On3 in it's present form because the frame doesn't allow movement of the drivers so the answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!

Of course if I made a whole new mechanism I could make a child's wooden push toy an On3 locomotive.

It is boorish louts like you that I really missed with my hiatus from trains for the last few months.

Harold

im a boorish lout for politely and calmly pointing out a basic fact?
wow..someone needs to lighten up just a wee bit.. 

its very simple really..
question = "Can I reguage this locomotive to On3?"
answer = yes.

frame is irrelevant..frames can be modified.

unless you want to suggest its impossible to regauge this engine to On3..

thats all im saying..
its not that big a deal..
calm down..

Scot

Hamish K

The prototype may be the preserved Brazilian 30 inch gauge loco but the design is a standard  Baldwin catalogue locomotives and could have been ordered in gauges other than 30 inches. Whether any were I don't know.

Anything can be converted given enough time, effort and skill, I guess the real question is how easy is it to convert. If the frames are too narrow to allow a (model) 3 foot gauge between them then the conversion will be fairly major.

And please, stop the personal abuse. It is not necessary and very off putting to other readers.

Hamish

scottychaos

so anyway..
moving on..

does anyone know if the drawing on Harold's website:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_4-4-0/image/4-4-0-3%20001.jpg

actually matches the Bachman engine??
how close is it?

I would like to regauge this engine to On2 possibly..to convert into a Maine 2-foot mogul..but I would like to know how accurate the drawing is first..

thanks,
Scot

C.S.R.R. Manager

Hi Scot. I printed the line drawing to scale, using the dimensions to calibrate, and the new Bachmann loco lines up really closely.  As far as I can tell, just eyeballing it, it's almost exact, except that the model's cab [the wood version] doesn't overhang the tender quite as much as the drawing.  Maybe that's the difference between the wood and steel cabs.

I've gotta say, what a good running loco.  And for a 4-4-0, it handles 18" curves nicely.  Now I just need to figure out what cruel things I want to do to it.  When I have time, I'm thinking a real wood cab, slightly longer and a bit shorter in height, would give it a more US look.  I've also thought about converting it into an inside-frame, and replacing the drivers with drivers from a parts-out Mogul, but that could be a challenge.  The tender could use some weight, maybe in the form of a Tsunami and speaker.

manager

scottychaos

Quote from: C.S.R.R. Manager on October 21, 2008, 04:04:53 PM
Hi Scot. I printed the line drawing to scale, using the dimensions to calibrate, and the new Bachmann loco lines up really closely.  As far as I can tell, just eyeballing it, it's almost exact, except that the model's cab [the wood version] doesn't overhang the tender quite as much as the drawing.  Maybe that's the difference between the wood and steel cabs.

I've gotta say, what a good running loco.  And for a 4-4-0, it handles 18" curves nicely.  Now I just need to figure out what cruel things I want to do to it.  When I have time, I'm thinking a real wood cab, slightly longer and a bit shorter in height, would give it a more US look.  I've also thought about converting it into an inside-frame, and replacing the drivers with drivers from a parts-out Mogul, but that could be a challenge.  The tender could use some weight, maybe in the form of a Tsunami and speaker.

manager

thanks!

well unfortunately, that makes it not very suitable for a Maine On2 mogul or prairie..
the drivers are far too large..
oh well..it was worth a try!

Scot