News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

extreme trains

Started by RAM, October 21, 2008, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

After Extreme Trains, I noticed that the Modern Marvels program was featuring high-speed trains, so I recorded that, too.  Our DVD recorder has a hard drive, so I can edit out commercial breaks after recording the program.  With a VCR, I tried to be quick on the trigger to hit Pause when a commercial interruption began.  However, many of the breaks were so long that Pause turned to Stop.

jayl1

Quote from: richG on November 12, 2008, 12:32:26 AM

Makes me appreciate Mike Lowe.

Rich

I know a host is supposed to show ethusiasm - BUT!!!!this guy was "flying"!!

Craig

That was fairly cool show. I learned a few things, like about rotating couplers on coal cars. My sons are watching the recording right now. I'd already seen the high speed  thing on Modern Marvels

grumpy

We didn't get the show on our version of the History Channel in Canada. Is it worth buying the DVD .
Don

Yampa Bob

I'm not sure yet.

Coal cars are loaded, train goes around horseshoe turn and cars are unloaded.  I thought the segment on dumping the cars was interesting. 

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

lirrman

Interesting show but I'm not hard of hearing.  My ears are still ringing.  That guy sounds like a used car salesman.
LIRRMAN

Yampa Bob

Reminds me of Billy May selling weed augers, but he does add excitement to the show.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

PRRThomas11

Hes entertaining but he should probably try decaf.
That's probably how I would be acting if I was taking a train around the Horseshoe Curve.
Great show!
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

Santa Fe buff

I meant to post already, but I watched it. It was awesome! I believe it was "Coal Trains", on the Norfolk Southern line with Horseshoe Curve on it. He told quite a bit of history along the way.

WGL,

After Extreme Trains, I too, watched Modern Marvels, "Bullet Trains". They talked about the TGV, Japanese bullets, MegLevs, and (The one I really loved), the Amtrak Acela.

Can't wait until the next episode! ;D
- Joshua Bauer

WGL

Meeting the challenges of pulling such a long train was interesting.
I didn't like the loud music accompanying the hyperactive narrator.  His cameraman must have been short, because he kept bending down to talk to the camera.  It almost made me feel very short.
I wondered why they didn't say what the next installment of Extreme Trains would be.  Maybe I'll look up the History Channel's website.
  I haven't watched the program on bullet trains yet.

Tom Lapointe

QuoteHes entertaining but he should probably try decaf.

I agree - I think he must've drank a gallon of expresso :o :D while they were taping this.  The dyanmic braking diagram was also a bit inaccurate as well :-\ (feeding power back into the diesel prime mover instead of resistor grids ???).

Overall, though, it was enjoyable. :)  - And credit to the producers for also showing some historic photos, brake shoe replacement on a steam loco at Steamtown, UP's method of changing out bad wheelsets, and some fantastic helicopter shots ;D of the train descending Horseshoe Curve. :)   I will probably try to catch some of the future shows.   (But can someone on the producer's staff "spike" the host's expresso with "Lunesta"  ;) please ??? ):D 

;)  Tom

pdlethbridge

My attention span is short so I haven't watched the show yet. With all the negative stuff listed about the show, loud music and yucky host, I probably  won't was my time.

Guilford Guy

Tomorrow's episode sounds cool, but I'm biased because I know one of the engineers that was switching out the circus train at the B&O Museum...
Alex

Paul M.

Eh, in times like thesde I wish our family had cable...

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

kevin2083

You're not alone Paul.....
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||