News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

extreme trains

Started by RAM, October 21, 2008, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I ordered 2 53' well cars on sale from Walthers for $14 each.  Was I shocked to find that they are actually 75' long!  53' must refer to the length of their wells.  They are all metal, heavy & made well.  I tested them on 18" & 22" curves:  they work on both but suit 22" better.

Bob or other UP modellers, car you tell which model of UP locomotives pull that Produce Express?

Bill

Santa Fe buff

I'd like to say Dash-9, but it appeared to be a possible AC series by the trucks...

Frisco,
He wasn't just happy about it, he was SUPER happy. I'm surprised he wasn't jumping up and down. They use that machine for scraping poor old F units, GPs, SDs, and etc. They just remove the engine, un-install certain parts, and let the "Evil Jaws of Life" scrap the rest. I too was crushed when I hear it was from the 1960s. Also, what was with him and those cherries?! He ate them off the ground when picking exclaiming, "10-second rule.". Also, he kept talking about how much he wanted to bust open a reefer car for some 'snacks' to eat. Then the first thing he does when they open the reefer car, is looking inside, finds the cherries, and litterly opens the box, and packaging and eats one... Oh boy, I think they might of had to already pre-paid for those cherries - I hope.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

I think any combination of SD70ACe's, AC4400's, C44-9W's, or ES44DC's would be suitable (with emphasis on SD70ACe's and AC4400's.)
Alex

WGL

GG,
  However, you couldn't identify the locomotive from the film.  I suspect that railfans would film the Extreme Trains with more attention to details.

I was interested to learn that the UP 844 began the year I was born.  Also, I counted a 4-8-4 wheel configuration.  Did the 844 get its name from the wheels?  Why does it have those (ugly to me) blinders?  Did they cheat & have a diesel locomotive behind it?

Bob, that's your territory.  Have you ridden the UP 844?

Yampa Bob

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of riding 844. I believe it is called an "FEF" for 4-8-4.  There is a similar locomotive in the barn at Cheyenne that is used for parts scavenging, I forget the number.

I was told the "blinders" are called "elephant ears" and are smoke lifters or smoke deflectors so as not to hinder engineer visibility.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

mtlatc

As of...well..I forget...It always has modern power behind it. Got to love it, but the PAX will not accept 4-8 MPH....lol

Frisco

Quote from: Yampa Bob on December 11, 2008, 02:23:48 AMThere is a similar locomotive in the barn at Cheyenne that is used for parts scavenging, I forget the number.
It is #838 here is a picture I took of it while in Cheyenne in June. It is in pretty bad shape but at least one of the 800's still get to run.   

Frisco

The one time I saw it was near Cheyenne. I can't tell what kind of locomotives are pulling it but it gives you the idea.

Woody Elmore

The engine's original number was 8444 but was reassigned a lower number to allow for a block of numbers to be assigned to (ugh) diesels.

Is it me or is "Extreme Trains" extremely awful?

RAM

The engine's original number was 844 but was reassigned a higher number 8444 to allow for a block of numbers to be assigned to (ugh) diesels.  When those diesels units were sold the U.P. renumber it to the original number of 844.

WGL

Since I have a Great Northern Empire Builder train, I particularly appreciated the latest episode of Extreme Trains.  This time, Matt did specify the type of locomotives, 2 GE Genesis.  The 12 cars are too many for my railroad.  The maximum legal speed of 79 mph is about what my GN F7A-B gets, but mine can't do the 110 top speed Amtrak can reach.  Matt went on another tangent to show cleaning the ashes out of a steamer, when he might have relaxed a while to chat with other passengers.  I liked that he did show a lot of what goes on inside the train.  It's fortunate that the bi-level cars clear the 7.8 mile long tunnel!

Craig

Quote from: Woody Elmore on December 13, 2008, 08:51:01 AM

Is it me or is "Extreme Trains" extremely awful?

Were it not for the fact that I watch the show with my kids, I would have a tough time sitting through 60 minutes of it. It just isn't interesting enough. Why don't they show us how and when (and tell us why) the train swaps engines here and there, or why there are two now when there were three a minute ago. I know the answers to those questions but I'd be more interested in the series if they focused more on the consists instead of the route and cargo.

There's nothing extreme about any of the trains they've featured, in my less than humble opinion.

Yampa Bob

In this area, UP uses mostly AC4400TE, they work well on tight mountain curves. I have 2 of them, one with sound. They look and run great on my 18" layout.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Mr.Train

In my novice opinion Extreme Trains is more for the people who know absolutely nothing about the railroad and how it works. I can barely stand the entire show. also you never learn anything from it.

Santa Fe buff

Me and my friend were getting irritated with the show too. We kept saying, "Naw, REALLY?!" It was nice to see the action and trains, but seeing things for the 100th time is annoying.

Overall, I'm glad there's a train show, unfortunately, it isn't for the experienced rail-fans.  :-\

Josh
- Joshua Bauer