News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Niagra 4-8-4 UP Greyhound

Started by hotrainlover, November 27, 2008, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear Board,
I have the Bachmann Overland Limited engine, which is Standard line.  Is this the same as the Niagra as the install at TCS site?  I am looking for installation pictures.  Thanksgiving break is a good time to spend on this....

Thanks for the help!!

hotrainlover

By the way....

What draw bars do you all recommend to replace the current one with?

Thanks!

SteamGene

A New York Central 4-8-4 is a Niagara; a UP 4-8-4 is a Northern - I think.  I think at one time Bachmann took the NYC Niagara and painted it for UP.  OTOH, you could have an old one which would not have a DCC eight plug board.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

hotrainlover

Gene,
Yes this one does not have a plug, so must be older.  It is the Niagra, but I need to make sure it is the same as the one pictured on the TCS site.  I know that it is not Prototype, but am wanting to convert it anyway. 

Thanks.

Mike

Can anyone provide a pair of photos showing the difference between the two versions of the "Overland" engine which has come with the "Overland" set? And which is the "more correct" match to the actual UP engine? Thanks- Mike

SteamGene

Mike,
I THINK the shells are the same.  The UP 4-8-4 is not offered by itself, but the picture on the set cover looks like a NYC Niagara with a UP tender.  I think the older set had the pancake motor and sloppy gear and rods while the new one has a can and much better gear and rods.  But neither are UP.  The Niagara and the Santa Fe 4-8-4 appear to be the same locomotive with elephant ears on the Niagara and a long haul oil tender on the Santa Fe.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TexasChief

Quote from: SteamGene on November 29, 2008, 02:40:32 PM
Mike,
I THINK the shells are the same.  The UP 4-8-4 is not offered by itself, but the picture on the set cover looks like a NYC Niagara with a UP tender.  I think the older set had the pancake motor and sloppy gear and rods while the new one has a can and much better gear and rods.  But neither are UP.  The Niagara and the Santa Fe 4-8-4 appear to be the same locomotive with elephant ears on the Niagara and a long haul oil tender on the Santa Fe.
Gene

There has been a thread on this not so long ago. The only resemblence between a Niagara and a Santa Fe 4-8-4 is the 4-8-4 wheel arrangement. Every thing else is totally different. Even the headlight is in a different place.
The early Overland engines wrer Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northerns. The present Overland's are Niagara's without elephant ears.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

Mike