News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Attention Teenage Railfans

Started by Guilford Guy, October 24, 2008, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

As most of you know there were shenanigans in California involving the collision of a Commuter Train and a Freight Train, and the death of many people. The engineer is at fault for choosing to send a text message to railfan Nick Williams, who is in no way responsible. Yesterday, an 18 year old, put information on his MySpace Page telling of how he was given the chance to run a Metra Commuter Train. Because of these two events, the railroads have been cracking down, and enforcing new rules on Trainmen. Many railroad Employee's-Engineers, Freight Railroad Conductors, Passenger Conductors- across the United States have lost many privileges. On Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad, conductors can no longer use cell phones, laptops, or even calculators. All cell phones have to be turned off even if the train is not in motion, or they are laying over. And you can forget about cab rides. After 3 engineers in Chicago got suspended for letting a kid run a Commuter Train, why would any employee risk their career in place of a foamer. So all you Teenage Railfans out there- Just Think. "If someone finds this they could get in trouble."
Thank You. Now I begin a 3 year wait until things calm down enough for cab rides to be offered.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/10/chicago-enginee.html
Alex

pdlethbridge

Very good, GG. This should be for everyone not just teenagers. I was given a cab ride when I was going into Boston on a budd car. Wakefield to north Station. At the time I thought it was pretty cool. Three crewmen new about it, conductor, fireman and engineer.  It wasn't so cool after I got a close look of a budd car that hit a truck.

grumpy

Many years ago I used to travel from Winnipeg Man. to Armstrong Ont. in the cab of the second loco . Great way to travel ; no agencies involved.
Don

Frisco

They should not let any-one that has not been trained drive the train, but I think they should let it be the crews decision if they let railfans into the cab. I have never got a cab ride on the mainline but think that it would be very cool. It seems like a classic case of a few ruine it for every-one.

thirdrail

When I was ten I was allowed to take the throttle of an LIRR H10s 2-8-0 on a work train. Not only that, but the engineer got out and climbed up on a bridge girder over Wantagh State Parkway and took a photo with my box brownie. BTW, the fireman stood right behind me to make sure I didn't do anything.  8)

Frisco

That would be really great. To bad they don't run steamers any more.

Yampa Bob

When a disaster happens, someone always wants to take the credit to get attention.  I would suggest submitting "Nick Williams" to a lie detector test. I find it hard to believe that a responsible Metro engineer would be so ignorant as to text a message to a "railfan" while operating the train.

Since the accident, hundreds of new web sites have appeared, all attorneys urging people to sue.  One sick person even suggested on the net that the engineer was a pedophile, having an illegal affair with a minor.

This is the stuff that makes for rumors.  The statement "The engineer is at fault" is without proof at this point.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

We'll have to wait for the NTSB report before we should make any remarks :-X

Guilford Guy

Bob, NTSB pulled the phone records, and found he sent a text message to Nick at 4:22:01, about time the engineer would have past the restricting signal, and UP stated the collision occured at 4:22:23. That sure sounds to me like a viable explanation...
Alex

Yampa Bob

There is always a chance of "operator error", but as a defense attorney I could make a good case with the word "about", and the arbitrary time factor, 22 seconds is cutting it pretty slim.  I'm not justifying the engineer's (alleged) action, but he could have already "past" the restricting signal, if in fact the signal was even functional.   

In this country, we are innocent until proven guilty, beyond any reasonable doubt. If there is a reasonable doubt, the man is (was) innocent. Of course, if there was a law against stupidity, the courts couldn't handle the case load. 

Many adults are careless (make that "stupid") using cell phones.  Every day I see people driving down the street or highway talking on their phone.  It is illegal, and such drivers should have their license suspended for a time, along with a stiff fine.  I am happy to say I have not seen a single teenager using a phone while driving.  So teenagers of the world, you deserve a huge gold star, now try to educate your parents. 

Parents' biggest fault these days is teaching by words, not example.  You know.... "Do as I say, not as I do". 

Jim Banner

Bob, I am glad you don't see teenagers talking on their cell phones.  Unfortunately, what you also don't see is them texting like mad with their cell phones down at stomach level, out of your sight.

On the other hand, I suspect the average teenager texting is no more dangerous than the average adult talking on their cell phones.  Unfortunately, they are probably not much less dangerous either.

I am glad to read that using a cell phone while driving is illegal in your part of the world - I wish it was in mine.

As far as the driver of a commuter train texting or talking on a cell phone while in control of a train, perhaps it is another indication that it is time to start running trains like we run elevators - no driver at all.  This is already being successfully done on LRT.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

And don't forget every model railroad in the world. Give me a few units at the point controlled by my power cab and I'd be a happy camper

Yampa Bob

Well, I recently had a spasm of operator error, and caused a magnificent rear-ender.  As usual, most accidents are equipment malfunction, you know, the loose nut at the wheel.  :D

Guilford Guy

Bob... I didn't start this thread so you could pick up on each detail that was inferred or skewed. I posted it so teens wouldn't make as stupid a decision as the one in Chicago, and perhaps think before broadcasting a video all over the internet that puts a crew's job in jeopardy, and ruining opportunities for the "better" railfans.
Alex

Yampa Bob

And I only responded due to "The engineer is at fault" statement.  I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.  Everything written in this forum is subject to other's opinions, correct?

In case you didn't notice, I had a few nice comments about teenagers in my area, but you breezed right by that.