DCC VERSUS NON DCC EQUIPED LOCOMOTIVES

Started by Clayton, October 25, 2008, 04:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayton

Will a locomotive equipped wih DCC operate on the same HO track as well as locomotives without this feature and without the DCC controller? My set up is only equipped with the standard transformer/controller. ???

Conrail Quality

If it's a Bachmann, than yes. Most locomotives from other brands will as well, but you should check the documentation to make sure.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Yampa Bob

As Tim noted, Bachmann and most other DCC equipped locomotives, are "DC compatible" and  will run on a DC powered track out of the box. Your controller should be a modern solid state type, not the older rheostat type.

If you switch to DCC power later, you'll be all set without having to upgrade your locomotives.  In most cases it's cheaper and easier to buy DCC equipped now than to add the decoder later.

Most of the better quality locos are available DCC equipped.  Some are DCC "ready", meaning the motor/pickups have been isolated and a plug/socket provided so you have the option of using a decoder of your choice, even a sound decoder if you prefer.  Some locos even have holes pre-drilled for a speaker.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.