News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hogwarts express

Started by Daylight4449, October 26, 2008, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Does anyone know where I can get an ho hogwarts express, or a castle class or king class loco cheap in the usa?

grumpy

Try Trainworld/ Trainland ,they usually have some clearouts.
Don

tac

Quote from: Daylight4449 on October 26, 2008, 11:33:26 PM
Does anyone know where I can get an ho hogwarts express, or a castle class or king class loco cheap in the usa?

Please note that the Hogwarts trains are not H0, but 00.  They are a mite bigger than you think.

Let me know if you get stuck - our local dealership has a second-hand loco.

Best wishes

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Daylight4449

I am not going to start the whole, OO in englan is HO in usa thing again but ALl I will say is I really want one.

Daylight4449

BTW, what is the cheapest second hand they have, I have no ability to get second hand locos...

SteamGene

The Bachmann Hogwarts is not a Castle class locomotive.  Other than the fact that it's a steam locomotive and painted red, we have no idea what the "real" Hogwarts Express locomotive is. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

Actually, In the book it is either castle or king class (I forget which) and in the movie it is the other.

Jhanecker2

Last I heard  from LHS  : Bachmann Harry Potter Hogwart Express sets were no longer legal to be purchased Due to some legal procedings. The Only US legal sets were from from Maerklin in AC and Trix in DC. Both apparantly no longer on the Market . Hobart in Great Britain was making the trains though I have no idea how to purchase them in the USA.  I saw no importer listed on their website. What is the Official Company position Bach Man ?

Paul M.

Hmmm, not legal. Interesting.

Also note that the European coupler supplied with the Hogwarts are not Kadee - compatible or even compatible with X2F's.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Sorry, Daylight:
"A scarlet steam engine ... A sign overhead said Hogwarts Express...Smoke from the engine..."
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE, Scholastic, New York, 1997

In the movies the locomotive has a sign saying "Hogwarts Castle,"  It's not a Castle class, so this may be its name as it powers an express train, London to Hogsmead and Hogsmead to London.

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Harry Potter is produced under license; we no longer have it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jhanecker2

Having consulted at least two different books.  Including the Encyclopedia of Locomotives and Trains I have found pictures of Castle Engines in both books  and while not absolutely the same the" castle class" is the closest match. It was also stated that due to there efficent utilization of coal that they were modified at later dates.    Gene is right  Rowlwing never specified the type of Engine it was . Authors are not necessarily technical writers, I suspect that the subject never came up.  Great author though, awesome storyteller. May she continue to write well and long. As regards to the couplers ,I am still trying to figure out how to modify the couplers without destroying the original parts.  Will have to create a stem that fits into truck mount and accepts some kind of Kadee coupler . It was easier to modify the Maerklin Potter Cars they had NEM coupler pockets , also had to change the wheelsets because they were designed for AC operation . Will have to eventually figure out how to open the cars to look at the internal wiring and to paint the cars to match closer.   No rest for the wicked.

VeritechCEO

If you look around in Ebay, you might find a HO Hogwarts Express train set there.  That's how I got my Hogwarts Express train set.

lirrman

Since I have a Hogwarts Express my wfe bought for me a few years ago and the last post mentioned e-bay I decided to have a look to see what they were selling for.  Only three for sale, around $50.  What got me curious though was all three e-bay sets had only two passenger cars.  My set had three.  My wife buys me train stuff, some I use some I dont.  Is the 3 passenger car set some sort of special release?
LIRRMAN