News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hogwarts express

Started by Daylight4449, October 26, 2008, 11:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Jhanecker2

Bachmann released   an addtional Potter Set when the second Movie : Chamber of Secrets came out . I believe that version had three cars plus the Flying Auto. I remember seeing it in one of the Bachmann Cataloges. J2.

Ozzie21

The Hogwarts Loco is an ex BR/GWR Hall class loco and this was the model supplied by Bachmann UK in their sets. The loco supplied by Hornby in their sets was a castle class model.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

tac

The original 'Hogwarts' locomotive was ex-BR/GWR #5972 'Olton Hall' - a Hall Class 4-6-0.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Jhanecker2

Thanks for the info tac & Ozzie 21. Will check it out tomorow. If I remember I will also try to find the reference to the three Car Set in the catalog liiman. Thanks for the advice VeritechCEO . I scored two complete sets with 6cars by pure coincidence for $40, used, locally . I was looking for #0=80 flat head screws 5/16" long for mounting couplers. Some days the gods do smile.

GN.2-6-8-0

Know this should probably be in the Large Scale Forum but seeing as the threads already here thought i'd ask !

Does anyone have any prototype information on the O' scale set Lionel  put out? or is it generic .... either way I'm thinking it would look nice around the tree'  Xmas morning....
Rocky Lives

Hamish K

Prototype information - for any-one who wants to know! The books do not specify a prototype, except to state that it is painted red. The most well known British company to use red paint for locomotives (manly passenger) was the Midland Railway and its successor, the London, Midland and Scottish (LMS). In later British Railways days some ex-LMS locos received red paint. In the books the train leaves from Kings Cross station - this was a London and North-Eastern Railway (LNER) station - their locos were apple green (or black) never red. As tac mentioned the film used a preserved  Great Western Railway (GWR) Hall class loco named "Hogwarts Castle", there were GWR locomotives with castle names but these were a different class (Halls had 2 cylinders, Castles 4, among other differences, however both were 4-6-0s.)  GWR locos were painted a darker shade of  green, never red. So there is no real prototype for "Hogwarts Castle".

Hornby Hogwarts express items are still available in the UK but, as, as far as I know, Hornby never had a USA licence for them you would have to order them from the UK, or some other country where Hornby has a licence.

Hamish

rogertra

J. K. Rowling as said that she got confused when it came to the London station from which Hogwarts Express departed.

She had childhood memories of large (By UK standards) red passenger steam engines departing London for Scotland.  This she now knows was ex LMS engines departing from Euston, not Kings Cross, which is where the ex LNER north bound trains departed.

Therefore, platform 91/2 should be at Euston and the locos should probably be Stanier Pacifics.  There were rarely, if ever, red engines at Kings Cross.

SteamGene

The Bachmann Hogwarts Express came in two editions - the regular with two cars and the super with three cars and "Platform 113/4" which was a plastic arch with platform number.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

Unfortunantl I got two supers at 7 years old and naturally, bieng young broke them.

Jhanecker2

I just got through repairing the couplers for the tenders and cars of the Hogwort Express .  One of the tenders was left stock to accept the standard cars. The second was modified with the European Couplers for the "Thomas" line to handle any  "Thomas" express cars.  The third tender was modified with Kadee Coupler Box glued onto a modified original base. This will allow me to pull the Modified  Maerklin Potter Cars. I changed the couplers and wheelsets to allow them to be pulled on DC. Still haven't figured out how to disassemble to determine how to illuminate them.