Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Your First Railroad Track Pack(Steel)

Started by deatbird, October 28, 2008, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deatbird

Your First Railroad Track Pack(Steel)
Bachmann E-Z Track

Does anyone know if  the turn-outs that come in this package are the same as the remote turn-outs sold individually (#44461 & #44462)?

Thanks for any help.

the Bach-man

Dear Deat,
Yes, they are.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Rangerover

I just felt a need to reply to this thread. If you want nickle siver instead of steel with EZ track, the gray roadbed is nickle silver and the black roadbed is steel. I used both!

Running Bear

Do yourself a favor and get the nickel-silver track.
Running Bear

grumpy

I also use both and have not experienced more cleanup required for one or the other.  A lot depends on the condition of the air ; eg. are there smokers in the house ; are you running a meth lab  ;) how much air freshener is used  ( Paul )
Don :)

Yampa Bob

That's how the atmospheric ozone layer was compromised, and possibly accounts for global warming.  >:(
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Terry Toenges

Yampa - The earth's core is cooling. Where does the heat go? Dissipate outward? There's your global warming.
Feel like a Mogul.

Daylight4449

Wow, this forumis my grandparents all over again.

Jhanecker2

Daylight 4449 :  Please don't freak but this bandying about of irrelevant info is a form of adult humor sort of like puns and is normally quite harmless though thought provoking.  Pax   J2.

kevin2083

So, the fact that the season of fall lasted all of 2 weeks here in Alabama is a result of global warming? I can see that......
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Rangerover

Climatologist's say we're in a cool down cycle and for the next 10 years.

But if it gets too hot install an airconditioner in your train room or heat if it gets too cold.

Woody Elmore

I read that we are still in an ice age. Let Al Gore worry about carbon footprints (whatever they are) and don't worry about tiny little trains polluting the environment.

mattallen37

Quote from: Rangerover on October 31, 2008, 09:36:48 AM
Climatologist's say we're in a cool down cycle and for the next 10 years.

The entire cycle takes eighty years. And all the global warming is called summer, no matter what the media tells us. And last winter there were record lows in more than one state. As far as the ozone layer being destroyed, I'v herd, that in one year, one cow does more damage to it than a large city does in one year. Just thought I'd share this. And I know that trains do not do much at all (to the ozone), so run your trains the way they work (AC or no AC) and most of all, have fun.

Matt

railsider

The steel-rail (black ballast) sectional EZ track has just one virtue: it's cheaper.
On the other hand, the nickel-silver, gray-ballasted track sections (which contain almost no silver, by the way) track is far less prone to rust, and actually a better conductor, but (alas!) costs more. So it's what you use on a quality layout.

Lay black-ballast steel track on unused "display track where running is not an issue. Likewise, use brass track, otherwise worthless, for "show-only" situations (EZ and similar sectional tracjk with plastic roadbed does NOT come in brass, but older-type Atlas-etc. rigid and flextrack does -- or did, anyway, years and years ago and at today's garage sales). Brass track is even more work than steel to keep clean and electrically conductive, but makes nice scenery.

If you want a really nice-looking layout, cover the plastic pebble-grain sectional track ballast with a thin layer of the real thing, or at least paint it to look less like plastic. This way, you can mix the two (nickel-silver where you actually run trains, steel where you don't) without their looking different or strange. Add more weeds on unused sections, of course, and a few stalks here and there for realism, as well as the occasional abandoned tie (square matchstick or toothpick stained) or chunk of old rail (brass, torn from a scrap of flextrack) for effect. A little sulpher or egg-yolk stains brass a nice dirty, rusty color.

Railsider

OldTimer

Nickle silver is named for its color...it is an alloy of copper, nickle and zinc.  It contains no silver.  It is the presence of nickle that separates this alloy from brass.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.