News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Organizing Train Information

Started by Yampa Bob, October 28, 2008, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Since starting up in model railroading, I have accumulated a virtual encyclopedia of information.  Forum topics, web pages, PDF files, pictures, and my various projects.  However, I never keep any information on my hard drive. Here is how I store, find and recover any information I need.

I have a 4 place USB hub attached to my main computer that I use online.  Each hub has four - 2 gigabyte labeled flash drives inserted, ready to receive data. Each flash drive shows up in Windows Explorer and in the tree of my main image program as a separate drive, such as "E" "F" "G" "H", with the drive title displayed.

Each drive has a logical (to me) title and directory structure.  One drive for layouts, track planning, Atlas RTS program and .ral files, anything relating to track. 

One drive for electrical including DC and DCC systems, decoder information, installs, lighting, web pages, images, etc. 

One drive for my personal pictorials on projects including digital images. It has Irfanview installed, and directories for all my rolling stock pictures and diagrams, with a special directory "wish list" with pictures and stock numbers.

The 4th one is a miscellaneous "dump" drive where I temporarily store things until I can sort them out, edit and transfer to the proper flash/category.  It also has a directory/subdirectories for all my smaller install Exe programs, such as Winzip, RTS, Irfanview, fla to avi converter, various Codecs and hardware drivers, web links and updated email address book, along with my own "readme" files in txt format. 

The only data folders on my hard drive are "Incoming" and "Outgoing", Every night, before I turn off my computer, I transfer all "Incoming" items to the dump drive. The Outgoing folder is for items to upload to the forum, Photobucket,  or include in emails.   

It's a work in progress, the flash drives allow rearranging, renaming and moving files as needed.  About once a month, I copy the flash drives to CDs for backup. 

When I travel, I take along the flash drives in my travel case. I have found them very handy when visiting Caboose Hobbies.  I bring up my wish list and let them find all the stuff while I enjoy a cup of coffee and chat with the technicians. 

The flash drives are available from Walmart, made by PNY, one gig for $10, two gig for about $13.  If you run Win98, the drivers are available from PNY web site. The 4 place hub is made by Belkin for about $10. The hub is arranged like wheel spokes for easy access and a compact 6" cable.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.