News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Does the K-27 gearbox need Lubrication?

Started by jimtyp, October 30, 2008, 12:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimtyp

Dear Bach-man (or anyone else that would like to respond  :D)

The K-27 comes with excellent info on lubricating the running gear.  The manual states the gearbox is lubricated at the factory, but does it also need periodic lubrication?  Or is it sealed and should never be opened up for lubrication?  If it needs periodic lubrication can you provide steps to do this and the recommended lubricant?

tac

The only two I have seen over were, according to their new owners, totally devoid of any form of lubricant whatsoever.

Needless to say, that state of affairs was rectified before they were put on the test rollers.

Such a complex and heavy locomotive needs care and attention like a real one - I don't have the new Bachmann K-27, but I DO have the Accucraft all-metal version, and that gets oiled up before every run.  I'm certain sure that if I had seen the Bachmann version first, I'd be an owner - it looks just great with a green boiler...

I also have all the Bachmann geared locos, including an early two-truck Shay - and taking notice of the lubrication intructions on that item has made sure that it has been trouble free for the last eight years.

tac
www.ovgrs.org