News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

45 Tonner Sound

Started by RichardStern, October 30, 2008, 12:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardStern

I just got the new 45 tonner, it is a beautiful engine, and the complex mech runs quiet and smooth.  It's fun to watch, with the little siderods paddling down the track (I suggest painting the rods and counterweights a metallic grey or other color to contrast with the truck side frames, it really makes a difference).  While it has limited pulling power, that was the case with the prototype as well, just means one has to be a bit careful when switching the packing plant it's assigned to not to grab too many cars at once!

I noted in the exploded drawing in the box that the fuel tank casting is called a speaker cover.  This would indicate to me that the engine has been designed with sound in mind.  So, some questions for the Bach Man

- Is Bachmann going to release a later version with sound (as you've done with some other models in the past)?
- Can you suggest a replacement DCC decoder with sound that would fit in the hood? 

Thanks
Rick

Yampa Bob

Hi Rick,

If the driver wheels are just slipping, adding a bit of weight will help. The motor and mechanism should be capable of pulling 10 easy rolling cars on a level track. If you need some advice on tuning your cars, we would be glad to help.

I don't have the 45 tonner, but if it's similar to my GE 70, the factory decoder is probably integrated with the pc board.  Consensus is that a "Micro-Tsunami" would be a good choice, it would have to be hard wired in place of the board, which is not difficult if you have basic soldering skills and tools.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Rick,
We have speaker mounts in many locos. As far as I know, there are no imminent diesel sounds.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Frisco

Does it have a 8-pin plug or a hard wired board.