News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem number uhhh......

Started by Daylight4449, October 31, 2008, 04:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Here I am, back with something ellse that went wrong. It must have something to do with me bieng descended from the murphys. ;D my 2-8-0 sometimes stalls and makes a buzzing sound. it is b&o.

Daylight4449

The problem asit turns out, was that the wires to on of the plugs was loose and has now completly separated. So my loco is broken. :-[ :'( :'( :'( :'( :-[

Frisco

I have had the same problem. I don't know why it happened, I was not even messing with the wires they just came apart while the locomotive was running. This is the main week spot in Bachmann steam locomotives.

pdlethbridge

an interesting note on connectors, I looked on the web for nano and mini connectors, IE, the type that bachmann uses. They are only graded for, at most, a couple of hundred connections under normal use before they fail. These are delicate and rough handling will only shorten their life.

pdlethbridge

If you have a 30 watt soldering gun you might be able to fix it. The plug will have either 2 ( for track power ) or 4 ( motor and light ) connections. each pin in the plug can be removed by carefully prying up the plastic tab holding the pin in place using an Exacto knife. push the part out using a piece of wire then re-solder. you'll notice a piece on the part that makes it look like a flag on a flagpole. That goes in and is held by that tab you moved at that start. Make sure it goes all the way back in and push down the plastic tab so it won't come back out. The soldered part only goes in one way. the plastic holding tabs are on the side opposite from where you see the metal pins

Frisco

Thanks, i don't feel comfortable doing this stuff yet so I will probaly just send it back to Bachmann.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

The issue of how fragile wire connections between engines and tenders has always been a concern to me.    Because of that problem  I rarely disconnect the two pieces,  even for wheel cleaning or any other type of service.   For travel from home to the club or another railroad,  I simple have a nice supply of bubble wrap that can be bought at the post office and have a couple of boxes to carry the engines in.   Also,  you transport your engines in the boxes that are sold for carrying model train engines and cars that have inserts and foam liners.
      If you want to continue to disconnet the wires,  have a good pair of needle nose tweezers as your tool of choice.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org