News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2007 pluses and minuses

Started by John Murphy, March 12, 2007, 11:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Murphy

Dear Bachmann, et al:

I was sorry to see that the HO guage Spectrum Climax B Shay and the 0-6-0 Saddle Tank switcher leave the lineup -- I can only hope they will return as better models in the future;
   I was pleasently surprised about three new items in the lineup which almost makes up for the loss:  1) The Christmas Boxcar in HO and N;
   2) The HO 2-6-2 Prairie in Southern Livery;
   and 3) The Non-USRA Spectrum Mikado.
   Time's late, but I just wanted to express my opinion.  Oh, is there a best way to make suggestions for future products?
   Best, John Murphy

Alex V.

The Climax is gone?!  :'(  I was planning on getting one of those!  I miss the 0-6-0T, too.
Alex - Owner/Operator
          Western Overland R.R.

lanny

Quote from: John Murphy on March 12, 2007, 11:56:11 PM
Dear Bachmann, et al:

Oh, is there a best way to make suggestions for future products?
   Best, John Murphy

Hi John,

I think you just used 'the best way' ... or at least 'one of the best ways'.  Maybe a letter direct to Bachmann would be good as well. I think Mr. Bachmann shares what modelers wish Bachmann industries would mfg. with the the Bachmann 'powers that be', based what he sees on the forum.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

scottychaos

Just because Bachmann stops making a loco doesnt mean you wont be able to get one..they should still be easy to find for a long time to come.
and dealers will probably still have them new in stock for at least a year or so..then ebay and the trainshow market will still make them easy to buy.

In G-gauge, there are locos that Bachmann stopped making years ago that are common as dirt, and very easy to find and buy..cheap too.

its like used cars..
Ford isnt making 2002 Mustangs anymore, but if I wanted to buy one, it wouldnt be hard! ;)

Scot

Paul M.

And Trainworld has 0-6-0Ts dirt cheap ;D

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

John Murphy

Trainworld advertises in both RMC and Model Railroader.  I've only gotten 2 bumm items, and one I was hoping would be bumm because it was purchased for spare parts.  The fault lay with the manufacturer, as all items I've gotten were plastic-shrink-wrapped and sealed from Bac -- er, the manufacturer....

Anyway, since I use 22" (maximum) radius curves, selective compression is a MUST.  Modestly detailed Plasticville et al, is perfect for me, if I go for higher-end pre-painted people and autos.  By modest detail, I mean lights and some interior detail for structures, etc.

OK, my wish list for late '07-08:
    1) 60' or 65' 1920's heavyweight passenger cars (a complete consist would be great!  [I've had to resort to using Model Power 67' Harriman cars and Rivarossi Interiors cut to fit and either purchased from Walthers or canabalised from 4 or 5 complete consists from Trainworld -- Man, a small saw and painted people make all the difference to those cars -- [When I was in "N" guage in the 1980s, Bachmann had a 3-car 60' heavyweight consist - 2 coaches and a combine - I cut the combine in two for a standard baggage car, placed a stock combine and coach behind, converted 2 more stock coaches into Pullman Sleepers, and combined the two passenger ends of the baggage car kitbash, a set of caboose steps and platform, a "wrought-iron" railing around the rear platform, a dummy coupler and a 1/25th scale headlight lense for a drumhead.  It looked great to me, but to pros, it was definitely amaturish);

Wish 2) Make the 1950s 4x4 Jeep hi-railer et al in DCC On-Board editions;

Wish 3) Make the seperate Spectrum tenders both in both regular and Tsunami Sound and DCC On-Board;

More wishes to come.  John

ebtbob

To John Murphy,

In the 2007 Walther's Catalog,  on pag 149 is a listing of a four car set of Rivarossi hearyweight passenger cars.   They are offered in Santa Fe and Northern Pacific.  The sets include a baggage,  RPO, coach and combine.  Cars are complete with knuckle couplers,  metal RP-25 sheels, add-on handrails,  working diaphragms,  interiors,  full undrbodly detal and more.  There are also lighting kits available for these cars and are listed on the same page.
       I have installed lighting kits in a set of these cars for a customer at the store,  where I work and can tell you that they are nicely done,  though they need some added weight.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

John Murphy

Sadly, Bob, those coaches, RPO's, baggage cars, and combines don't lend themselves to being taken apart, "re-interiored" and put back together.  I know, because I have about 12 of them when they were marketed by Walthers, and personally, I couldn't 'bash' them to the cars I wanted or needed.  They're great cars, but limited in 'kitbashing' for my ability.  Thanks for the tip, though.