News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

?'s on Version 5 (from a rookie)

Started by buzzbeer, November 04, 2008, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbeer

Hi all, new to this board, to large scale RR'ing, and looking to buy a beginner set.  I've looked through past posts regarding Bachmann's version 5 upgrade but still have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer:
1. Can I assume that all G scale train sets in the current catalog are version 5?
2. If so, was there a particular year that all sets were mfg'd with version 5?
3. If not, how can I tell if a particular set is version 5, 4, 3,...?
Thanks for the help!
Jack

Cascade Northern

If you buy a BIG HAULER, then you will get a version 5 (to my knowledge).
If you buy an ANNIVERSERY, then you will get a...um...better one?(not sure of the correct term).

The main difference between a big hauler and an anniversery is that the anniversery has metal side rides, valve gear, hand rails, etc.  The big haulers are still plastic.

To answer your third question, to tell the differences between a big hauler version 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 is by looking at the bottom of the chassie.  I am not sure of the total details, but certain versions have a slightly different chassie.

Jon D. Miller

buzzbeer,

Take a look at this.  Most of your questions should be answered.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2007/11/08/bachmann-10-wheelers?blog=4#more258

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

buzzbeer

Thank You for the prompt replies, they're greatly appreciated!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Buzzbeer and all,

The reference Jon provided is great but there is one mistake on chassis identification in the reference that Jon provided.

There was NEVER a version four chassis with a lubrication port by the centered hump as stated in that reference.  Some were added by individual buyers, but none were original that way.  On the version 4 chassis you have to remove the bottom cover to lube the gears.  You can be sure that any chassis with a lubrication port is a Version Five chassis, unless it is an earlier version which was kitbashed to add one.  The anniversary 4-6-0 has the same version 5 chassis that is in the Big Hauler with the version 5 chassis.   The difference is only in the really nice metal detail on the annie.  It is my personal recommendation that you buy only locos with the vrsion 5 chassis, unless like some you are collection the sets.  For future reference I am posting the chassis identification chart below:

Big Hauler 4-6-0 Chassis Version Identification Courtesy of Barry at Barry's Big trains and modified by Bill Canelos for clarification   .  Last update Nov 1,2008                           
Version 1  1988-1990  Battery Powered R/C Units                              
Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn drivers by hand and motor will turn                              
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                              
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                              
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                              
Note that the dates overlap and as of Nov 1, 2008 have not been fixed more precisely, but I believe all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5.  Any new set with DVD instructions is definitely a version 5 chassis.  If buying on line ask the seller if it has the DVD instructions and you will know for sure it is new stock with the version 5 chassis.                                
The following sets released in late 1999 were Version 5 Chassis 90031, 90032, 90033, 90034, 90035 and 90037.   

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

Loco Bill,

Thanks for pointing out the error I made in describing the Version 4 and its bottom cover plate.  It's been a long time since I last had one of the Version 4 Big Haulers.  I was working from memory and obviously it was defective! ::)

I went in and corrected the misinformation posted in my reference on Big Haulers.

Since there always seems to be questions in reference to the Big Haulers I thought it a good idea to put the article together, with pictures,  to save time and help inform folks on the differences between a standard Big Hauler and the Anniversary version.

JD

buzzbeer

Loco Bill,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your info, along with Jon's, clearly and concisely answered all of my questions.  I definitely came to the right place!
Jack

Barry BBT

I am preparing to take a picture of the latest three motor/gearbox combinations.  The Plus plastic mount, the 4th metal yoke, and the fifth open gearbox.

Anyone wishing a copy let me know and I will email to you.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Jon D. Miller

Should anyone want to see pictures of the various drive systems used in the Big Hauler visit George Schreyer's Large Scale Trains site.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html

Go to George's section titled "Gearing."

George does have one error.  He makes mention that the Anniversary Big Haulers have a 7 pole can motor.  This is not correct.  The Annie has a 5 pole motor.

JD

Loco Bill Canelos

Barry & Jon,

Thanks for the great and helpful work you both do to help the hobby!!

Barry I will definitly want the info you are preparing on the gearbox variations which I will add to the historical recors.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

Jon,

I remember the 7 Pole vs. 5 Pole discussion.  At one time I told TOC, that it was a seven pole motor, some time later he asked me to recheck the "pole count", I did a more careful examination, of course, it was a five pole motor.

Barry - BBT

granpab

A special thanks to Loco Bill for his description of the difference between version 2 and version 3.   Others say the wheels will turn on version 2 but not on 3.  Bill's description says that the motor turns when you turn the wheels by hand.  Subtle but as it turns out for me, very important to say motor turns.

I was just given a version 2 or 3 - wheels turn - but motor does not.
The loco looks brand spanking new - but I am guessing its a version 3 with stripped gears.  Now I have a project locomotive.

Anyway - thanks again to Bill and to all you others who generously donate your time and experience to those of us who are rookies.

Barry BBT

Granpab,

Typically, the symptom you describe is usually the fact that the motor moved and is not in contact with the gears.

The motor can be secured in place by running a long wiretie around the motor and joined on top of the loco weight, tighten it down and it should give you good service.

Barry - BBT

granpab

Barry - BBT

Thanks.  Your guidance is much appreciated.

John

granpab

Barry
Just to follow through.  Bingo - you were right-on. 

The loco lays on my work bench with only the wires connecting all the pieces.  I have the ties - somewhere around the house -  (It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.) and I will buy some more ties tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks again Barry for giving me the confidence to tackle the problem.