News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power routing turnouts

Started by #94, November 04, 2008, 11:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This has me confused. I have searched the archives and manufactures (Bachmann, Atlas, etc.) and the NMRA and still am uncertain.
Who makes power routing turnouts for DC operation?
If a double oval has power routing turnouts this will determine which oval has power correct?
Can someone explain this in simple terms?

Thank you.

Yampa Bob

Google is your friend, lots of information.  Notice the search words I used.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=power+routing+turnouts

Factories just make all this stuff, they don't tell how to use it.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Loco Bill Canelos

It can be done, but is tricky.  It depends on the specific track diagram.  It may be better to do simple track blocks. which would allow you to run two trains one on each oval, and move them to the other oval.  For info on Block wiring Google on Cab control, or block wiring.

Maybe this will also help:

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36359&SearchTerms=power,blocks

Hope it helps!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

My plan is to use E-Z Track for the oval and passing siding of this oval ( not using a double now ) I will be using the E-Z track along back of layout and partially hidden area not convenient to work on. This will be a continuous run section assentially attached behind a few modules. The modules will have On30 Flex Track and probably five blind end sidings. I am thinking I would like to use power routing turnouts for these five and not have to wire and use switches for on/off. My wall is about 10' long that this will be against.

from oval                                              to oval
                     v                              engines                    ^
                      \                              _ _                           /
                       \                          / _ _                           /
                        \                        / _ _                           /
                         \ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _/
                                     /                                             \
  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /                                                 \_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _          _                                                                                      \ _ _ _ _ _ _             
  log dump                                                                                               
                                                                            marshalling yard                 
Eventually a non operating logging area will be built over part of the oval.

Thanks

the Bach-man

Dear #94,
All our turnouts are DCC Friendly.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Joe Satnik

Dear #94,

If I recall correctly, only the N scale Bachmnann "remote" turnouts have power routing, nothing in HO.

You may have gotten a quicker response if you had mentioned "HO" here or put your post in the HO sub-forum.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

General electrical question about power routing turnouts with standard DC as operating power source. Running On30 on Bachmann HO E-Z Track for back oval and On30 Flex Track for sceniced logging modules in foreground.
Plan to use HO Bachmann E-Z turnouts for passing siding on oval and to get on and off oval to On30 trackage ( see rough sketch with oval omited ).
Would like to use power routing turnouts in forground to avoid all the switches and wiring on the five blind sidings. Did Google search as shown by Yampa Bob and found much help with wiring details. I had found but lost a sight that had which brand turnouts were power routing.

Thank you,
Allen

Atlantic Central

Allen,

I understand your desire to avoid wiring, BUT, relying on turnout points to conduct power is a bad idea over the long term. My personal preference is to use switch machines with aux contacts to preform power routing or for manual turnouts I use a small DPDT slide switch as the ground throw and wire the frog and power routing through it.

Sheldon