bachmann g-scale remote control for loco

Started by shaytrain, November 05, 2008, 08:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaytrain

recently found a good deal on a loco but need a remote for it can't seem to locate one on the web any ideas

scottychaos

Shay,
the only way you will likely find one of those is on ebay..
and you will probably have to buy the remote along with another old big hauler! ;)
(its likely you will find them for sale as a set, but quite unlikely you will find the remote for sale by itself)

but on the plus side, they should be very cheap..they should sell (locomotive and remote combined) for $20 - $40 dollars..

but honestly, im not sure its even worth looking for a remote..
these battery powered big haulers are SO ancient and primitive that IMO they arent even really worth running..I would use one for kitbash parts, or just make it a "shelf queen" or a static display on a siding on your railroad.

but if you want to try to run it, im afraid ebay is going to be the only way to go..

Scot

Jim Banner

If you do find a transmitter for you locomotive, make sure it is the correct frequency.  If memory serves, they came in both 27 MHz and 49 MHz versions.  There should be a tag on the bottom of your locomotive to confirm which it is.  If no tag on the bottom, check inside the battery compartment.   I seem to remember that the 27 MHz ones typically had the number 27 on their cabs.

Contact Barry at Barry's Big Trains.  He has postings on the Large Scale Board.  He may have some of these or know where to find one.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Loco Bill Canelos

Jim makes a very good point about frequencies, a ckeck of my Bachmann database reveals tha the radio controled big haulers indicated frequency by using the number 7 or 9 on the cab side.  I have never seen one with two numbers on the cab, and at present do not believe any were vere made that way, unless repainted and renumbered.  The tag on the bottom is still the best way to check. 

Scot is correct, Ebay is the best bet for the transmitters.  According to my Ebay sales database The transmitter often show up in the months of Nov, Dec, and Jan. some went as low as $5 and as high as about $15.  Whole big hauler sets went as low as $10 and as high as $76 with the average price around $38.

Good luck with you train.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!