News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SOS! NEED HELP!

Started by victorianrose, November 06, 2008, 06:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victorianrose

I just purchased a dept 56 bachman village express train set 2-6-0 on 30 scale with a spectrum.  I bought it at a yard sale, it was brand new still wrapped in its box, very pretty and such a steal!. But when I put it together, it powers up lights up, but the engine refuses to move, I have tried everything over and over again, until I am threating to throw in the trash. The box appears to have been stored for a long while. Anyway, is there anything else anybody could reccomed as I really love this set it is gorgeous and wanted to use  it this year. Please any suggestions? :'(

Frisco

Are the wheels and the track clean?

jayl1

Besides the light working, does the engine "hum"?  Check to see if there is grease gumming up the drive - especially if the engine has been stored for a long time.  You might also GENTLY push the engine on the live rails.  Good luck.  If worse comes to worse, you might be able to return it to Bachmann & have it fixed for a fee.  Call first though before returning anything to Phildelphia. 

RAM

See if you can turn the motor.

Yampa Bob

Unless you have experience working on these small locomotives, I suggest you take it to a local hobby shop, preferably one that sells trains.  Explain your problem and they will probably get the loco freed up and running in just a few minutes.

Buy a bottle of Labelle 108 light oil or equivalent for future lubrication and ask the store owner how to apply it.

I doubt if they will even charge unless it requires disassembly and repair, but ask for an estimate first. 

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bevernie

If you decide to throw it in the trash, my address is: 166 AZALEA WAY HENDERSONVILLE, NC  28792!!   I'll gladly reimburse the postage!!
                                                                                              THANX!!
                                                                                                 Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

victorianrose

Hi Yall!

Thanks for the advice, I do not know anything about trains, although I love them, and really wanted this set as I have a HUGE Victorian Christmas Village.
There is one man in town,  I have been trying to catch him when he is open, but he never seems to be open!. He is the only one we have here.

The motor does hum, and it does rev up, it actually tried to go in reverse yesterday it moved a little.

The tracks, look clean, everything was still wrapped up, and appears to be new and never removed from box. I just wonder if the storing up for years had any effect on it. Or maybe defective to start with and just not returned.

Many thanks for your suggestions,

Terri

SteamGene

It can't be that old as On30 is fairly new, as is Spectrum.  I'll go with the other suggestions of gummed up engine.  Lights and hum says that power is getting to the motor.   OTOH, mine is three years old and is run only at Christmas time.  Hopefully, Mr. B will read this and offer some advice.  However, you will not get repair work on it for free as you are not the original buyer and it's over a year old.  However, I thinnk they will work on it for you for a fairly nominal fee if it comes to that.  Word of warning - do not try to take the locomotive apart.  You might want to find out if there is a local train club close by.  If so you may get some help from a member or two.
Good luck.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Rose,
Take the  loco and power pack to a local hobby shop. They will be able to tell where the trouble lies, and, if cleaning and lubing will solve the  problem, they'll do it  for a reasonable fee. If it's more involved, the service department will be able to help.
Have fun!
the Bach-man