News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC compatibility

Started by lvrr325, November 04, 2008, 12:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

I happened on an older MRC DCC transformer and control for a rediculous dirt cheap price at a train show - a Lionel guy selling off his kids HO and didn't really know what he had - and I'm wondering how difficult it will be to operate my On30 Forney (no sound) and small 4-4-0 with it? 

The controller is marked AD490 and uses a rotary switch to choose what numerical address to operate; it has four function keys as part of a 9-key pad.  The base is marked Prodigy DCC and has a switch to go between programming and running.  But no manual with it and frankly I'm not that DCC knowledgable, I tended to ignore it with my HO stuff due to the large added expense of using it, plus the work involved to add decoders to older locomotives. 

Edit:  Although no manual, there are stickers on the back of the handheld control explaining how to run, set consists and program decoder-equipped locomotives.  I finally un-rubberbanded it and looked -

az2rail

Sounds like you have the original Prodigy DCC system and you should have no trouble running those engines with it. If you go to the MRC web page, you should be able to download the operating manual for it. I don't pretend to know a lot about DCC yet, but I have a Prodigy Advanced system that will hopefully run my future layout.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

lvrr325

From what I'm hearing it's pretty basic and outdated, but the base might accept running more modern throttles (should I find one of those crazy cheap).  But all it has to do is make them go, make them stop, maybe once in a while run two at once. 

az2rail

I would'nt be to hasty to get rid of it yet, at least until you know you need something bigger. people with the newer versions will tell you that yes, it is outdated, and then they will tell you which one to buy, of course it will be the same thing they own.

The handheld that you have will store up to 32 engine codes and allow you to run 4 at a time. if you need more than that, then yes, your system is out dated. Also you can add a power booster if you feel that you need one.

Personaly, I would use what you got first to see if you like DCC, and then go from there.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

lvrr325

Odds are on an On30 layout it's not likely I'd run more than two engines at once....   I'll have to hook it up to my HO loop and run my 4-4-0 or Forney with it and see how it works. 

Probably the biggest reason I've avoided DCC is the cost - a base system tends to be $200 plus, then you have to add decoders to each engine - for a bunch of features I don't really need as one guy running a small layout. 

lvrr325

Well, for the heck of it I hooked this up to my HO loop and got out the Forney and 4-4-0 and ran them.  This worked fine to run both seperately or doublehead them, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out the basics.  I even reprogrammed the Forney to a different address number with it - both come set default to #3 apparently.  (I couldn't find the paperwork for it right away). 

So I put away the HO stuff and put some O buildings out and ran both engines around for a little bit.  The clearances on what was built as a double-track HO mainline are a tad tight (particularly with the rear of the Forney on curves) but it was fun to watch them roll and get used to the throttle.