News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DSD-101LC Installation

Started by Birdog, November 10, 2008, 07:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdog

All,
I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to install the DSD-101LC in my DCC-ready Spectrum 2-8-0. The 8-pin plug in the tender is not numbered and the instruction sheet and diagram are vague so I am not sure how to plug the decoder in. Furthermore I just can't figure out how to fit the thing into the tender. It doesn't seem to fit with the installed circutry. I am hesitant to force it. Does anyone have any insight? I have searched all over the web and have found nothing. I asked at the local hobby shop and the guy said it is very hard to do. This is suprising considering this decoder is supposed to work. Help!
Birdog

pdlethbridge

The pins and wires follow this standard

Did you pull the dummy plug off the circuit board? Then you'll notice there are numbers on the circuit board, like 1 and 8 that would correspond with the decoder pins. On my 2-8-0, I installed the decoder    ( digitrax dh123 ) under the coal load which lifts off revealing a good sized space. There is also a hole for you to pass wires through. the speaker should then fit in the tender. Is what you have something like this?

winjie

I don't know if this site might be helpful.The site is  Train Control Systems they have some pictures to aid installation of decoders.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/bsse.html

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Installation_list_by_Manufacter.htm

richG

The 8 pin NMRA is designed to be safe for plugging either of two ways. One way the loco will move in the direction selected, the other way it go in the reverse direction selected. That all depends on the decoder soldered according to the color code just posted.
The speaker is sometimes installed facing up under the coal load. Tiny holes are drilled in the coal load and covered with model coal glued on top. Here is what I did with the Spectrum 4-6-0. Sometimes you have to use a little ingenuity at least that is what I do. You have more room in the tender for the decoder and speaker than I do.

Holes not drilled yet.

Rich

Birdog

Thanks for the replies.
I have the dsd-101lc from soundtraxx. It is rather long and the only way I could get it to fit was to do some serious cutting and modifying. The coal load area will be just great for the speaker creating it's own baffle. The decoder is larger than the one in the picture.
Again thanks for the help.
Birdog