News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing dust from models

Started by Stephen Warrington, March 13, 2007, 08:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

Hi Guys,

I was looking over some of my older less run models and model battleships in my display case and was wondering what is the best way to remove the fine dust that builds up on them? I have tried compressed air from a can in the past it gets some of it but not all same with small paint brushes. Any good suggestions out there?

thanks

Stephen

Paul W.

I use a very soft round paint brush and a small static duster. The static duster doesn't work like it's supposed to for around the house cleaning, but works good on getting into tight places without breaking anything on a model.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

PietL

May sound strange but I remove the mechanism and then rinse with water and soap under a hot running tap. I have fitted my display cabinet with a small fan from a old computer. It blows filtered air into the cabinet creating a slight pressure preventing dust from entering through the seams. I use a 12 volt model with a regulator to lower the speed to get an acceptable noise level. The filter comes from the cooker hood in the kitchen.   

0n30nutz

I've used static dusters, Swiffers, but for nooks and crannies, particularly on my trains, I've used Q-Tips, photographer's lens tissue wrapped around the handle end of a brush, and even microfiber cloth gently shoved into corners with the handle of a brush....Lots of work, but worth the effort... :P

Lately, I've been puttin my favorites in display cases...much easier, duh... ;D

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

rogertra

I use a 21/2" artist's fan brush that I use for nothing else so the bristles remain soft.

Paul M.

Micro-Mark sells (or sold) a mini- dust vacuum for models:

http://www.micro-mark.com/

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific