News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thanks for the help

Started by Yampa Bob, November 06, 2008, 03:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

You've probably noticed that very few model railroad products have complete instructions, if any at all,  provided in the package.  The factories must assume that we are all experts or wouldn't be in the hobby. Well, that's ok, with the help of this forum and the internet, we figure it out (in a year or two).

However, consider the following situation.  A guy goes to the hobby shop, selects a couple locomotives, some rolling stock, controller, track, turnouts, bridges, piers, ballast, scenery, etc, all based on the dealer's advice of course.  The dealer adds it up and says, "ok, that will be $676.39". As you present your plastic, you ask "How do I set this stuff up and get it running?"  The dealer's lips start moving without any vocalization, but we all know what he is thinking. (censored).

But you see, thanks to Kalmbach, Carstens and a host of other publishers, the wily dealer has an escape. "Over on that rack are lots of books to get you going in no time"........ "That will be another $85.50 please".   

The above happened to me two years ago, except the stuff never got to the cash register counter.  I was a newbie, every time I requested an item, the response was  "You don't want that, you want this". After a few months previous research, I already knew what I wanted.  I walked out and ended up spending thousands of dollars on the internet during the past 2 years.

With the help of my good friend "Google", and members of this board, I am now up and running and having fun.  Still more to learn but nothing really important for the time being. 

A couple days late, but my 70th birthday also marked my second anniversary in model railroading. What started out as a new hobby has turned into a passion, it gives me lots of satisfaction. So I want to "personally" thank all the members, experts and novices alike, who helped me get started, and stayed with me all the way through to success.

For those just considering the hobby, a word of advice from someone who's "been there".  Model Railroading is not "instant gratification", it is a continuous challenge which begins when you open the box of your very first locomotive.

I hope I can contribute to the board at least a small portion of what you all have given me.

Thank you.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Bob, your very welcome. Now is the check in the mail? ;D

Joe Satnik

Bob wrote:

"I hope I can contribute to the board at least a small portion of what you all have given me."

Uh, Bob,

Your detailed and helpful contributions now far exceed anything that I can remember sending your way, so humbly I say, "thank you" for all the time and effort you put into helping others on this board.

Who was that masked man? (Hi-Yo, Silver, away!)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jim Banner

Bob, I am surprised to hear you compare model railroading to a mere hobby.  Model railroading is not a hobby, it is a disease.  Once infected, brother, you've had it.  There is no cure.  I got infected a very long time ago.  You got infected more recently.  But the passion is still the same.

One of the great thing about model railroading is that it is more about sharing than competing.  Thanks, Bob, for your willingness to share.

Happy Anniversary two too to you.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Jim
If I read your last sentence aloud, it sounds like "toot toot to you".  Please don't change it, it's priceless.   :D :D :D

It got my tickle bone, I haven't laughed this much since the party.

TrampTrader

Hey Bob,

Happy Belated Birthday wishes to one of the truly nice guys on our forums! As another late blooming, new comer to model railroading, it's always a pleasure to read your informative postings. I'm really enjoying my humble efforts in my new hobby. Happy Modeling to All the Great Folks on this Forum !

Pete  :)

Yampa Bob

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the birthday wishes and kind comments.  I believe we are known by the company we keep, and it's easy to be nice when you are in the company of nice people.