News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

jumping off rail

Started by toti, November 12, 2008, 08:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toti

greetings bachmann,

i'm steve from the philippines. i have an HO SUPERCHIEF and  planning placing it under our christmas tree, but the cars keep on jumping off track maybe to it's light weight. sir what can i do to prevent these?

thankyou
steve

jayl1

Steve,

First check the gauge of the train wheels.  If they are too wide or narrow that could be the problem.  You could also check track gauge.  There is an NMRA tool   available for that.

If the cars are too light, several companies make weights to add to the cars.  Some folks use pennies, tire weights, B-Bs, etc.  They glue down the items with "GOO" or ACC.

I would check the www.walthers.com for more information & hope you have a good hobby shop in the Phillipines.

Loco Bill Canelos

Steve,

Most of the time when the trains derail it is because the track is not properly connectec or it is not level.  Be sure your track is very level.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

kevin2083

you should be able to run your finger over the joint without feeling a bump. Make sure the rail is in the joiner and not on top of it.

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

GN.2-6-8-0

Warning!

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't recommend trying to run a H.O train around a Xmas tree unless its on a solid base,in other words do not attempt this on carpeting or any rug. bare floors are o.k  If need be place your circle of track on a small square of 1/2 plywood

Quote from: jayl1 on November 12, 2008, 10:03:51 AM

Steve,

First check the gauge of the train wheels.  If they are too wide or narrow that could be the problem.  You could also check track gauge.  There is an NMRA tool   available for that.

If the cars are too light, several companies make weights to add to the cars.  Some folks use pennies, tire weights, B-Bs, etc.  They glue down the items with "GOO" or ACC.

I would check the www.walthers.com for more information & hope you have a good hobby shop in the Phillipines.
Rocky Lives

glennk28

At least, anchor the track to a firm base like plywood.  HO is really too small for under-tree use unless on a table or other elevated surface.

A few years ago I acquired some Lionel (the classic post-war kind)--and I quickly found why we never had Lionel for under the tree.    Too noisy.  I would hope that the "Williams" trains are quieter-  Then there's Large Scale--very quiet and stays on the track quite nicely.

gj

kevin2083

Bachmann's hollow track doesn't take well to being stepped on though...even from a small child
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||