News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

mrc decoder and spectrum compatability

Started by chesapeake chaney, November 28, 2008, 11:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I have not seen a Bachmann board without a capacitor. 
I totally support standardization of boards - but as stated many times, Bachmann does not realize there are folks who want to swap tenders and such.
Gene

PS - I also support standardization of connection between loco and tender among brands.  If nothing else, I'd like to put USRA large tenders behind USRA light Mikes and Pacifics.  (Or 16V - a much better idea!)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

chesapeake chaney

where exactly is it.  in a diagram i saw it was in a c shape on the edge of the tender board.  is this the one you mean?

richG

Quote from: ta152h0 on November 29, 2008, 07:29:28 PM
In my opinion, turning the truck around 180 degrees does nothing more than put the pickups on the same side and nothing will work, unless the locomotive is grounded somewhere and you will get smoke if both pickups are on the hot side. However, if the axles are turned on the same truck, then you have a real problem. that is why, elsewhere on the forum, it was noted to use an ohmeter on the track with the locomotive in palce prior to powering up.

Your opinon might be true for the older standard line where the loco picks up on the right side and the tender picks up on the left side. We were talikng DCC steamers. See Yampa Bob's post.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7136.0

Rich

richG

chesapeake chaney

Can you post a photo of the PC board? It may have SMT devices or maybe someone cut them out already.
Usually the capacitors are labeled C! and C2 from my experiences with Spectrum PC boards.

Rich

Yampa Bob

ta152ho,

Are you saying your friends at the club dictate what code rail you use on your own layout?  They wouldn't let me be a member, I use ugly code 100, "Rule Number One".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

For reasons known only to chinese factory bosses, the USRA heavy tender for the USRA light Santa Fe has a different board than the same tender or the 16V tender for the USRA heavy Mountain or the light Mallet.  They are not compatable with each other.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

ta152ho,

Are you saying your friends at the club dictate what code rail you use on your own layout?  They wouldn't let me be a member, I use ugly code 100, "Rule Number One".

No, they just said if I ran my heavy mountain on code 83 rail, the front trucks would not fall off. they are only dictatorial when it comes to what you put on their layout. Some rolling stock has wheels that are not compatible with code 83 rail, so they say.I have a 4-8-4 Niagara from a long time ago that has the flanges too big.

SteamGene

I don't think the code of the track has anything to do with the curvature of the track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat