News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-6-2

Started by 38engines, November 14, 2008, 07:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

38engines

My 4-6-2 steam engine won't run, but the headlight still lights up. What should I be looking at?

SteamGene

Get your ear close to the loco under power and listen for the motor hum.  If it doesn't hum, either the motor is shot or there is a wire loose to it.  If it hums, then there is something wrong with the gear tower.  How old is it?  Are you the original owner? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

38engines

There is no humming. The engine is only 3 years old, and I am the original owner.

hobo1

make sure the wheels on the tender are installed correctly or it will create a short and the loco wont run

SteamGene

If there is a short, the light won't light.  Your problem is either a blown motor (rare, AFAIK) or a bad electrical connection.  Since you are the original owner, your best course of action would be to send it back to Bachmann, unless you have the skills to find and fix the break yourself.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Remove the shell, if you have access apply DC power directly to the motor brush terminals. If the motor runs, you have a wire loose or broken, if it doesn't motor is bad.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.