Biggist layout a kid has made

Started by adari, November 14, 2008, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

What was the size of the worlds biggist kids layout? And does anybody know how much they spent building it? Thanks
Adari

WoundedBear

Start your search here......

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/

If it hasn't already been done, maybe you can be the one to hold the record. (If Guiness qualifies it as a record).

Sid

Guilford Guy

The biggest constraints for kids/teens are time and space, because most will be moving out fairly soon into their modeling efforts. I have a good friend who comes from a fairly wealthy family, and has a fairly large 15x30ft layout, with several staging yards...
Alex

pdlethbridge

In my early teens I built the central midland, an atlas layout plan. I had the space for it and it took a couple of years to get the mainline done. Of course, that was over 40 years ago

adari

Gullford guy,
Quote from: Guilford Guy on November 15, 2008, 12:26:39 AM
The biggest constraints for kids/teens are time and space, because most will be moving out fairly soon into their modeling efforts. I have a good friend who comes from a fairly wealthy family, and has a fairly large 15x30ft layout, with several staging yards...

Did a 3 year-old to a 18 year old build that layout.

Guilford Guy

Nay, he started it when he was 14, and is 16 now. The benchwork is competed, as is the branch, yard, staging yards, helix, and some of the mainline. I "help" in the summer, by coming over, lay a few feet of track, detail a few locos, and then run trains until 2 in the morning!
Alex

NewYorkCentralgirl

i am 14 and i am building a layout but i am constrained by space as everyone is i have only 5x10 that pictured layout would be a dream just i would base it on the New York Central

Santa Fe buff

Uh, it's space for me... I'm even glad I'm barely fitting in a 4x8 into my own room. I have to wait until I get a job, money, house w/basement, train stuff, and all the other items people need to live, including a family. I would like something a bit more complex then that shown.
- Joshua Bauer

Joe Satnik

GG,

What scale is your friend's layout?  What type of track?

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Guilford Guy

HO, Atlas Code 83 flex track, and Atlas/Peco/Micro Engineering Code 83 Turnouts. Local Trains run from Keene to Bellows Falls. Westminster Branch trains run out of Rockingham. RDC's run from Westminster, I think all the way down to Worcester. He is so concerned on getting the mainline finished, that he barely has enough power, which is why 2 New Haven GP30's are heading there soon, and a couple Lamoille Valley units, and CCRR locos will be on temporary leases. This past summer we won 60 Athearn Impack TOFC cars on Ebay, which will be painted into QNE colors and used on Worcester- Rockingham Turns.
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Code 83, not bad, a lot of cool track details and accessories come for code 83, but I'm doing code 100. Sounds like a big project, and thanks for using the word "won". Because trust me, it's really a battle to bid on stuff on E-Bay; E-Bay - Shop Victoriously!
- Joshua Bauer

adari

Im 11 My layout is going to be 20 by 15 feet plus 2 closets one 5 by 10 feet and the other 3 by 10. i cant wait to get the layout started.im stating in about a month

Guilford Guy

Build your layout before buying a whole lot of motive power. I was originally going to model B&M, but after a few years and end of school coming quickly I figured I'd just shoot smaller and model a shortline.
Alex