News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoder instl.

Started by jimbatt, November 16, 2008, 06:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbatt

I just got a Bachmann HO Southern Pacific GS4 "Daylight" steam locomotive.
It has dcc on board. I wish to install a Soundtraxx Tsunami sound decoder which will give the unique GS4 whistle. I am not sure what to do to the decoder which is installed by the factory. Is there a circuit schematic anywhere?
Thanks for any help
JIm B.

Jake

Jim,

Bachmann HO scale DCC ready and Equipped locomotives (with the exception of the old spectrum 0-6-0 switcher) come equipped with an NMRA 8-Pin plug. All you need to do is mount the speaker in the tender, unplug the decoder from the socket on the circuit board (and save it for later, for possible use in other locomotives), and plug the Tsunami's 8 pin plug into the socket. Making sure the pins are lined up correctly. IIRC, the red wire on the plug should go into socket 1, which is marked on the circuit board, program your decoder, and run.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

When did Tsunami start coming with an 8 pin plug and an already wired speaker?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

Cut back the shrink on the Tsunami enough to expose the 9 pin JST connector. According to SoundTraxx, this is ok. Buy a 9 pin to 8 pin adapter when you buy the decoder and speaker. I suspect the 1.1 inch 1 watt speaker will fit. Just a WAG as my Spectrum 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 use the 1.1 inch speaker. Litchfield Station has free shipping over $75.00. They also have very good custormer service. If you can solder, you can also buy a 8 pin connector and solder the decoder wires to the connector, leaving the 9 pin connector intact. The instructions come with the decoder. I use the Micro-Tsunami in my steamers.
Just unplug the stock decoder. If you plug in the 8 pin connector incorrectly, all that will happen is the loco will move in the opposite direction of what you select. The 9 pin connectors are keyed for only one way insertion.

Rich