News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Big Hauler train set

Started by Dr. Bob, November 18, 2008, 01:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Bob

I have an Baldwin 4-6-0 engine which came with the Suawnee River Special set.  The set includes the engine, coal car, and two passenger cars.  The problem I am encountering is the engine keeps jumping off the track when ever it enters a curved section of the track.  Is it possible that I have the wrong size curved track?   I am really at a loss as to what to do.  I can't run the set because of this problem.  I would appreciate any help.  Of yes, I notice that the first set of wheels come out of the husing for the drive wheels.  I would appreciate your help.  Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

If the track you have came with the set you have the correct track. 

The first thing to check is how well your track is laid.  It must be very level especially side to side, and especially at the point where the strait connects with the curved section.  Track laid on a carpet often causes these problems.  Sometimes the track connections are not properly made.  Well laid level track is critical!

If this is not the problem, turn over the locomotive and make sure the pilot truck wheels are not too far apart or too colse toghther.  use a ruler and measure the distance between the driving wheels, then check the pilot truck wheels to see if they are the same distance apart. 

If that is not the problem, get some plastic compatabile grease and grease the slot that the pilot truck slides from side to side in.   Make sure the truck slides freely from one extreme to another.  Some times the two wires that go to the pilot truck for electrical pickup get out of place and bind in the pilot truck causing derailments, usually you can use a small screwdriver to relocate the wires without even taking the truck off the engine.  If necessary remove the truck and re adjust the wires.  The pilot truck MUST move freely from one side to the other, if it does not you will continue to have derailments. 

Some folks glue a lead fishing weight to the top of the pilot truck for extra weight, but I find that if I do the above the weight is not necessary.

I hope this helps so you can enjoy your train. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

Dr. Bob,

Loco Bill is largely correct (and usually is), but I might add a couple of variances with the pilot truck.  The wheels can be a bit narrower than the drive wheels' Back-to-back (which should be 1.575").

If the front axle drive wheels came apart, you are running a 4th generation Big Hauler, put a couple of drops of Super Glue in the plastic joiner for each wheel and re-attach.  That should hold for awhile.  This could also happen on the blind driver wheelset and the driven wheelset, but the driven wheels will come out with out a separator.  The main gear is the wheel separator and joiner, but the solution is the same a couple of drops on the square axle ends, reinsert, hold for a few seconds.  Be on your way.

Barry - BBT 
There are no dumb questions.