Diagnosing problem with older engine and track

Started by deerhunter, November 29, 2008, 08:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunter

Hello all!  I have recently dug out my old train set.  Can't find any model numbers, but the engine is a Chessie System C&O 4127.  The box says HO scale on it.  When I connect the track together and crank the power pack dial all the way to the right or the left, I am getting 19 Volts all the way around the track.  However, the engine only moves over 3 sections of track.  It is a 2 track system.  What seems odd to me is how it ever worked.  From the power supply, there is one wire that goes to the inner track and one wire that goes to the outer track.  This is not a closed circuit as near as I can tell.  The positive voltage goes to a ring and the negative voltage goes to a ring.  What am I missing?

Mike

The closed circuit comes from the engine as the power flows from the wheels on one side, through the motor and light, then out through the wheels on the other side. The poor running can be coming from dirty track, wheels, contacts to the wheels, etc. If you have older style brass or steel track, the corrosion is basically low conductivity. Corrosion on nickel silver track is more conductive. Try cleaning the electrical conductors with a rag and cleaning solution (search for "cleaning" on this board). Also, be sure the track connectors are tight. Enjoy !- Mike

deerhunter

Thanks for the info Mike!  I will clean it off and see if I get better results.  I can understand the closed circuit now.  For some reason I was thinking that a ring could not be engergized with a positive or negative charge.

SteamGene

I'm betting the engine is from the '70s or '80s and may never run well.  But cleaing track and wheels may help.  Also, make sure your track is connected correctly.  Rub your finger over each joint - both ways.  If you feel a ridge, you have one piece of track resting on top of the rail joiner.  This is a derailment waiting to happen.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"