News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track wire

Started by usher42, November 17, 2008, 02:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

What is good size wire gauge for track  to dc power pack? Iwent to a local train show this last weekend an d i ask a vendor what size wire is good for layout and told me a wire #22 gauge is good . wae he right or not.

Tom Lapointe

You didn't specify what scale or type of loco you're planning to run; #22 is pretty light wire.  For a typical small HO or N scale loco, pulling a light train, it might be adequate; definely not for a Large-Scale, multi-motored loco  :o  (or even some of the heavier HO locos).  16-gauge stranded speaker wire (readily available from Radio Shack) would be a better choice for most model RR applications in my opinion; for heavy O or Large Scale locos (my large-scale, fully-lighted USA Trains 5-car streamliner, powered by 2 - twin motored Alco PA's, draws @ 7.5 amps :o , for example), the larger the wire size, the better. ;)                                                                             Tom

SteamGene

It depends on the size of the layout, too.  The safest thing to do if you are using buss and drops is to use Atlas wire for the drops and a heavier gauge than that for the buss.  Model Power sells wire, too, but it's thinner than the Atlas.  I think it's mroe suitable for accessories or building lights.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

It really depends on the application. For instance, I use digitrax ds 64's to control my switch machines. There is absolutely no way a 16 gauge wire could be used directly into a ds 64. I was forced to use nothing bigger than 26 or 28 gauge because of the small holes on the ds 64 connectors. If your wiring multiple switches as I am, the smaller the better. Much heavier wire is a must on the rest of the layout. I used 20 gauge that are under 2' in length from the tracks to the bus line. My bus line is heavier still, 16 gauge, but I can only run a maximum of 2 locos on my 64 Sq ft layout

usher42

Quote from: Tom Lapointe on November 17, 2008, 04:23:37 AM
You didn't specify what scale or type of loco you're planning to run; #22 is pretty light wire.  For a typical small HO or N scale loco, pulling a light train, it might be adequate; definely not for a Large-Scale, multi-motored loco  :o  (or even some of the heavier HO locos).  16-gauge stranded speaker wire (readily available from Radio Shack) would be a better choice for most model RR applications in my opinion; for heavy O or Large Scale locos (my large-scale, fully-lighted USA Trains 5-car streamliner, powered by 2 - twin motored Alco PA's, draws @ 7.5 amps :o , for example), the larger the wire size, the better. ;)                                                                             Tom
I'm running H O scale if thats helps you.

Hunt

usher42,
Use #18 AWG wire, less than 5 feet in length, to make the connection between DC power pack and the track.