2-8-0 Spectrum Loco clicks and hardly moves

Started by etjensen, November 17, 2008, 11:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etjensen

My "brand new out of the box" Deadwood Central 2-8-0 (gift from bro) is on an eight foot section of straight track powered by a "new out of the box" MRC220 (23vdc max output) linear transformer. The loco lights turn on and when I increase the throttle, the loco "clicks" from below but the wheels barely turn. If I give it a shove, it travels a distance at a very low speed. It acts like locos with dirty track/wheels would but everything is clean.

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 30 year hiatus. Yesterday inadvertadly powered the track with AC side of the transformer. Duh - thinking Lionel for some reason. Could I have fried the motor windings? If I did - should I bother trying to get it repaired?

Losing sleep thinking I destroyed a very expensive present. Help! Call a shrink!

Loco Bill Canelos

If the clicking noise seems to come from the gears rather than the side rods, you may have stripped a gear when the locomotive surge forward.  Clicking from the gears usually is a very rapid sound as opposed to clicking from the side rods whichoften occurs once each rotation of the side rods.  If not the gears then the motor may be the culprit. 

Since your brother bought it new you could return it to Bachmann for Warranty repair.  Bachmann  has one of the best warranties in the business.  It would be good if you can get the reciept and warranty card form you brother. 
Give service a call at the non 800 number.   Use 215-533-1600 and ask for the service manager, to see what your options are. 

Most importantly don't obsess over your mistake with the AC, just take action to get things fixed so you can enjpy you return to the hobby.  The Connie is a fine locomotive and once up and running will give you lots of enjoyment.

Welcome back!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dave

I had the same problem with a New Connie. First time I tried it it did the same thing. Turned out the Axle Gear had split . Easy to fix. Bachmann have a replacement which is the gear,axle and wheels.

Dave
                  Waikino
                    New Zealand

spla13

i have 2 connies and before i even tried to run them i took them apart to check for loose screws. both gear boxes where very loose and had i ran them i would need parts too. after the fix and a good lube job with red wheel bearing grease they are the smoothist best running loco i have and i have well over 100 locos from bachmann, usa  and aristo- the connie is the king!

Joe Satnik

Dear spla13,

Are you sure red wheel bearing grease is plastic compatible?

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

charon

Dear spla13,
You took apart the two locomotives to check for loose screws before you ever ran them?
If I ever had to do that, it would be my last purchase from that manufacturer, whoever they are!
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

spla13

i was warned in advance of my purchase that there might be a problem and they are so darn eazy to take apart and fix and do not cost that much, why not. as far as the red grease i knew i would get flack for that. it is a lithium complex with a high dropping point of 500 f  made for extreme service conditions. and yes it will melt-disform - and destroy all plastics as well as most metals, wood ,carpet and flesh. it gives the gears a clutch like lag a kin to a worn out auto trans in a junk yard car. i am kidding. i hope its ok. i have had no problems in about 20 hrs. of running. bob.

etjensen

Thanks for the advise guys. I did try to take the undercarrage apart to get into the gears/motor. Couldn't figure out the rod extraction/disassembly os put it back together but idd notice the gear box flops around and the "second gear in" does not turn when the wheels turn. It will turn if I stick simething in there to turn it but not by the wheels. May have to get back into the gear box and look for that crack BIll or Dave talked about. But alas, I stripped out the screw slot on one of the screws. Argh.
Getting through to Bachmann is all voicemail so I guess I'll keep trying.

ej

etjensen

Anyone know how to remove the drive wheels? I figured out the screws on the axel ends. Opened them to limit, but it's not obvious how to seperate the wheels from the weights and rods.

BTW-Bachman sent out replacements quickly. I'll call them tomorrow if no reply and report back.