News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

need help with IDENTIFICATION...

Started by bevernie, November 16, 2008, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevernie

:)GREETINGS!! I'm finally getting around to TRYING to do a complete inventory of my "stuff", and I've run into a problem! Well, actually THREE problems:
       1)How many different kinds of engines are there? (I've got over a hundred, but some are the same kind!)                      8)
       2)Is there a source where one can go to identify engines? (What is the difference in F3, F7, or F9?)                    ::)
       3)How can one idenify a manufacturer if it's not marked?         :-\
  That's all the questions that I've run into thus far, but if you can anticipate others, feel free to answer them!!
                                                                              THANX!!
                                                    :o                              Ernie     
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Jhanecker2

Fundamentally there are currently      only three Kinds of locomotive : steam,internal combustion( diesel & gasoline ,and turbine) and electric. There is a book titled : Encyclopedia of Locomotives and Trains that I use , it has a fairly extensive perview of global motive power, but it doesn't have everything. There is an extensive amount of literature out there but I don't Know of any truely definative work.
    I usually look underneath the product to see if any molded in identifcation is there. Sometimes you can get an idea by what type of couplers are installed. Some manufacturers use a specific type of coupler. Though most of us change couplers to one style or another . I have removed all the horn-hook couplers and switched over to either Kadee or Bachmann knuckle-couplers where possible.

bevernie

All was going well with my inventery list, until I listed the F9 (which was identified by one in a BACHMANN-unopened- box.)! It has what looks like a turbine set alone, then three smaller turbines and a screen. Well, I had about 12 such engines that I began listing as F9; then, I realized that these engines have FOUR turbines, the same size as the one by itself, but no screen!(I still haven't identified that engine!)
I just quit trying to proceeed with my inventory!
                                                                                       THANX!!
                                                                                          Ernie

Running Bear

The 12 with 4 same size fans are likely F7's. The 1 with the large fan and 3 smaller fans is an F9.
Running Bear

Pacific Northern

Quote from: bevernie on November 16, 2008, 12:10:44 PM
:)       2)Is there a source where one can go to identify engines? (What is the difference in F3, F7, or F9?)                    ::)

Either Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman magazine ran an issue dedicated to the EMD F units showing the differences between each of the vaious models as well as each phase.  The story ran about half of the isssue and covered the FT to the F9L electric engine.

I did find  the issue , it is the Oct 2006 Model Railroader. Excellent drawings of the various differences as well as comparison between the manufacturers/brands as well.

Pacific Northern

Woody Elmore

Try finding a Kalmbach "Diesel Spotters Guide;" it has more information than anyone needs to know. There is also a second volume.

jayl1

Quote from: Woody Elmore on November 18, 2008, 10:48:40 AM
Try finding a Kalmbach "Diesel Spotters Guide;" it has more information than anyone needs to know. There is also a second volume.

There will be a 2008 edition coming out soon - if not already on the shelf.  They are now done by Withers Publishing in Halifax, PA.  Retail on the new one is $35.  There is a blurb on it in the December issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

ebtnut

Over the years there have been literally dozens of F-unit models that have been released.  Athearn/Globe was probably the earliest plastic model, and Varney at least had a model in die-cast metal.  I can think of models from Penn Line, Atlas, Stewart, to name a few other manufacturers.  There were a lot of detail differences among the various designs as well.  We've come to call them "phases", as in F-3 phase 1, 2 or 3.  Some locos had winterization hatches, some had steam generators.  There were variations in the size of fuel tanks, and the location of air tanks. 

Woody Elmore

So, let me get this straight, you are saying that all diesels don't look alike? News to me.

Yampa Bob

After 2 years of exhaustive research and study, I have developed a very complex computerized inventory system......8 steamers, 12 diesels.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bevernie

YAMPA BOB, from previous posts, I think you live close to me, so the next time that you have reason to go toward Asheville, might I extend an invitation to come over for a visit (to Hendersonville)?
    (Upon acceptance of said invitation, I will gladly give directions!)
    BTW, I've got to work in the morning (Sunday), but I should be at home in the afternoon!)
                                                                                    THANX!!
                                                                                       Ernie

WoundedBear

If North Carolina suddenly got a view of the Rocky Mountains, then ya, you guys are close.

Other than that......you're off by about 1500 miles.

Sid

bevernie

OOOOOOOOOOOOPS!! Somewhere, I read something that said that he lives south of I-40; I-40 only runs through North Carolina, doesn't it??  ;D
SAT!!                                                                               THANX!!
                                                 8)                                     Ernie

RAM

I think I40 goes all the way to the west coast.

Yampa Bob

Actually almost 2000 miles, including a short trek with horse and pack mule.  :D

Oh, we also have bears, wolves and mountain lions.  "Here, kitty, kitty".    8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.