News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Historic road markings

Started by SteamGene, November 18, 2008, 09:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I'm actually beginning to construct some roads on my layout. I'm looking for historic highway markings from the 1950s.  My memory is that the white stripe on the side of the road didn't exist back then.  I can't remember a double stripe in the center of the road - a single unbroken meant "don't pass."  I've searched under "highway markings" and "historic highway markings" with no joy. 
Any memories from guys who remember 1957, or any search suggestions?
Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Tim

Gene

As I remember there were no lines on the side of the road.

A solid white line in the center of the road indicated NO PASSING.

If the line was broken you could pass.

Stop signs slow signs and directional arrows were black lettering on
a yellow background.

This is in Pennsylvania other states may differ.

Tim L. Anders
Souderton, PA

SteamGene

Thanks, Tim.  Those are my memories, too.  When did the stop sign go red? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Search for "Historical Highways", or "Historic Highways".

IIRC, center striping hasn't changed in 50 years. I found pictures of "Kings Highway" 17 in Canada circa 1950.

http://www.thekingshighway.ca/PHOTOS/Hwy17photos2.htm

Continuous double yellow no passing either direction, broken white with continuous yellow indicates which lane is allowed to pass, broken white no yellow either lane is allowed to pass. (with caution of course).

According to some DOT sites, road edge marking started around 1950.  It always created problems, as motorists tended to shy away from it and hug the center of the road. Out here most of the roads now have "rumble strips" to alert you if you get close to the edge, with the usual white edge stripe. Psychologically it lets you hug the edge stripe without fear of leaving the pavement, very handy at night or in bad weather, especially in fog when your lights on dim are directed to the roadside.

I don't remember stop signs ever being any color but red. Caution signs yellow.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jhanecker2

I have seen stop signs in White on Red & Black on Yellow but the signs were always octaginal.  I like the new buried reflectors they also make noise if you drive on them they are used to mark lanes at night.

SteamGene

Bob,
The King's Highway photos are great!  Thanks a lot.  Most of the roads on the layout will have to have the double stripe as they are either curvy or going over a grade crossing or both.  BTW, I've tried an experiment that I read about and I'm using the back side of roofing shingles for asphalt highways.  Guess what?  They work great!  Another technique I'm using is a white coloring pencil for the road stripes.  I've already done the DuPont parking lot in this fashion though it's right now empty of cars. 
I didn't think to search for historic highways.  That's a great idea.  I guess another would be "Route 66" or "National Road" or "US 1."  I'll take a look. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jim Banner

Just going from memory about how it was in Alberta, Canada where I lived at the time, yellow and black stop signs started being replaced by red and white ones in the late fifties and the yellow and black were virtually all gone in the early sixties.  Center lines on highways were dashed where you could pass, solid where you couldn't, and the only places there were double center lines was where traffic in one direction could pass but traffic in the other direction could not.  In urban areas, the center line was always solid, but you could pass if safe.  Shoulder marking on highways was originally yellow to distinguish it from the center line, but somewhere in the late 50s/early 60s they switched the two because the center line was more important and yellow on black shows up better and last longer than white on black.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

On a trip to Florida in 58', saw lots of chain gangs, highways were generally poorly marked. some were tar, lots were concrete 2 lane

PRRThomas11

Roads had one single white line until 1971. Of course dashed line means passing and solid is no passing.

I hope this helps!
PRR
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

RAM

do a search (historic highway markings)

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Keep in mind that this is a "States Rights" issue, and in the 1950's while there where somewhat uniform standards nationwide, the details of various practices and standards did vary from region to region and state to state.

Anyone offering advice like "roads had one single line until 1971" is obviously not well informed.

Based on my research a few things seem clear:

By the 50's most stop signs where red and white,
speed limit and other "law" signs where black and white or red and white,
warning signs where yellow and black.

Red and white "yield" signs not in use, yield signs yellow and black back then.

Single or double lines of white or yellow would be found dividing lanes depending on the highway's traffic level, importance and local practice.

"stop" lines and crosswalk markings only found in metro areas, and lines on the side of the road would have been very rare.

Sheldon

Jim Banner

It seems that the red and white stop signs came along in 1954 but there were still many of the old yellow and black ones in use in the mid sixties.  Apparently there is at least one still in use.

http://www.mycrazyhobby.com/stop/
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

I backed the link to the main page, hundreds of pictures showing road markings.

http://www.thekingshighway.ca/
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

here is a highway near durango from the denver puplic library. Try going there and look at buildings. You'll find 15000+ pics at the DPL. Lots of streets and roads are shown next to buildings. Glass negatives is where you search

Jhanecker2

I like the idea about the roofing shingles , after all they are asphalt shingles. Seems like a very appropriate use. Going to have to go to the wine cellar and see if there is still a set Dad stashed  from the time before the last reroofing . J2,