News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

grading locos on the curve

Started by siemer, November 19, 2008, 05:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siemer

I know that Bachmann's On30 2-6-0 loco will take the 18" radius curves and I've learned that the 2-8-0 will not.  But how about the On30 Forneys, Shays and Climaxes -- can they negotiate the 18" curves or do they demand a 22" or higher radius?

Tim

Siemer

Go here

http://www.geocities.com/loggingloco1/NineMile/On30Loco_n_Car_Radius.pdf

Download the pdf file.

It should answer most of your questions.

Tim L. Anders
Souderton, PA

jestor

My Consolidation runs just fine on 18" radius curves. :)

lvrr325

The Forney doesn't like 18" going boiler-first, it can come uncoupled or even derail the first car, although the one tight spot on my layout it does that so far all it does is uncouple at low speed or make the car wobble a lot at higher speeds.  With a light car as the first car I could see where it might derail though.  Tender-first it doesn't have this problem. 

The small 4-4-0 is fine with the tight curves, I had to adjust the drawbar a bit (bent down) as it kept derailing one tender wheelset.

I can't see where the climax or shay will object to 18" curves, they're no longer than most HO scale 4-axle diesel locomotives.   Even an Athearn SD40-2 will take an 18" radius curve, they just look rather unrealistic in the process. 

0n30nutz

The Climax and Shay have no problems whatsoever with 18" curves...

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

HarryHotspur

The 2-6-0 will run fine on 10" radius curves. The tender drawbar does need to be in the long position.  However, none of the Bachmann On30 cars except the mining cars and the caboose will handle 10" curves. Most will run on 12" curves however.

peterherron

My 2 Connies run flawlessly both forward and reverse on my test oval with 18" radius.

0n30nutz

Didn't say it in my earlier post, but my Connies run through 18" curves without problems, too....

Regards,

Howard
If it ain't steam, it ain't...